Is surgery needed to improve my profile? (Photos)

My question, do I have a double chin, ill-defined jawline, weak chin, too much neck muscle & skin etc...? what can I do to just improve on my jawline. I weigh 160lbs. and stand about 5'10".

Is surgery needed to improve my profile?

As cosmetic surgery is a choice, no one actually needs it. If you are asking whether you are a suitable candidate, this depends on a large number of factors such as your general health, past medical or surgical procedures, your expectations and your attitude to risks. Often there is more than one way to achieve a result and the decision depends on how long the result lasts, risk of complications, recovery period, surgical time required and cost. A consultation with a surgeon who has performed the kind of surgery you are seeking and who can show examples of their OWN past work is important. I would always recommend speaking to a recent past patient to find out more.

London Plastic Surgeon

Chin / Neck Liposuction

Thank you for your question. Yes, I do think you would likely see a benefit with laser-assisted liposuction of the neck region. You may also want to consider having fat transferred to the chin area to provide an augmentation using your own tissue. Usually there is not enough removed from the neck liposuction to do this, so it would come from your abdomen or "love handle" area instead. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Neck liposuction and a chin implant to improve the side profile

The  side profile photographs demonstrate fatty deposits in the neck, and a weak chin profile.  Placement of a Silastic chin implant can improve and augment the projection of the chin, while liposuction of the fatty deposits in the neck can improve the jawline.  Both procedures are complementary to each other.  For more information and many examples of both procedures, please see the link and the video below 

Profile improvement chin jaw cheeks

Implants or injectables can be used to easily enhance different features of your face.  The cost is about $600 to $2500.  Higher for implant.  A free consultation usually helps to go over your needs in person and examine you.

Afshin Farzadmehr, MD

Improving a male profile.

I would evaluate you for a chin implant and placement of either fillers or fat grafts into the area of the angles of your mandible.  You may also benefit from removal of subplatysmal fat or submental liposuction to improve the contour of your upper neck however a face to face exam would be necessary.  The key to success is to avoid being excessive and looking natural.Regards and best wishes, Jon A Perlman MD FACS  Certified, Am Board of Plastic Surgery  Member, Am. Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)  Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Jawline

you have a less developed lower jaw and the 'front' of the jaw has a reduced height (deeper fold under the lip) The ideal is usually orthodontic surgery and genioplasty. The jaw is also narrow so that the 'jawline' is not as defined (not as much definition between the neck and the face). A chin implant is not a good proposal. If you want to avoid orthodontics and jaw surgery, you would benefit from considering jawline implants and sliding genioplasty with some augmentation of the area/fold under the lip

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Hi, based upon the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, men look chiseled and handsome with angularity in the cheeks, chin and mandibular angles.  From the photos, your cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front), the chin is weak as are the mandibular angles and there is excess fat below the chin.  I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.The following procedures would create a more ruggedly handsome face
  • Cheek augmentation with cheek implants to add angularity to the cheeks and mid face.  This would be combined with liposuction to reduce the excess facial fat to further define the cheek shape.
  • Chin augmentation, using a chin implant, to add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  I would combine liposuction and excess skin removal using the same incision used for implant placement.
  • Augmentation of the mandibular angles using a dermal filler (jaw implants have too many unwanted side effects IMHO) to add volume, angularity and flare to the jaw line.
Hope this helps.