Surgery or fillers? Enhancing side profile (Photo)

It it more recommended to get jaw surgery or chin fillers to fix and enhance the side profile of my face like the jaw and chin. I have a slight open bite that I supposed can be fixed along with the appearance by getting jaw surgery, but can this be avoided using fillers instead?

Doctor Answers 3

Chin projection

Regardless of your bite or occlusion, you are a good candidate for a sliding genioplasty or chin implant. It is possible that you have an overbite that could corrected with orthodontics and jaw surgery, but not all of my patients want to go through that much surgery or orthodontics. In your case, I would recommend a sliding genioplasty so that a significant amount of profile improvement can be obtained. It is possible a chin implant could get a similar result. Good Luck.

Ventura Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

Chin augmentation

Thank you for your question and photo. Although fillers can make some improvement to your chin projection, it's probably not the ideal treatment. If you need orthognathic or orthodontic treatment, it may be better to address that together. Another option is orthodontic treatment for the open bite followed by a chin implant (less invasive than jaw surgery). Discuss this with your dentist, oral surgeon and plastic surgeon so you can come up with a comprehensive plan. Good luck.

Jeffrey Jumaily, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

Chin Augmentation

When assessing chin position is is important to first look at dental occlusion. Your chin should be reanalyzed after your open bite is treated. At this point if your still is still deficient than a chin implant or fillers can be considered. Given that you appear to be young generally a chin implant is a more cost effective alternative as chin implants are permanent and don't require repeated treatments which will add up in cost over a lifetime. Hope that helps!

Sagar Patel, MD
Houston Physician

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.