If the surgeon uses structural technique in rhinoplasty, what are the chances the nose will deform weeks/months/years later?

I had a nose job on Monday, and the cast is still on, but I started to panic what if the sutures inside my nose are not strong enough and my nose will gradually deform after the cast is off. The surgeon made the tip narrower, raised the tip a little bit and did alar reduction as well. He says that he is not removing cartilage at all, or just a minimal amount, and he is a big advocate of the structural technique. But what are the disadvantages of this technique?

Structure technique in rhinoplasty

The term structure rhinoplasty refers to using cartilage grafts to support and strengthen the nose.

This is opposed to reductive rhinoplasty which refers to removing cartilage and bone to make the nose smaller and potentially weaker.

In full disclosure, I perform structure rhinoplasty, because I have seen breathing issues, pinching and shrinking after reductive rhinoplasty. If the grafts are too large in structure rhinoplasty, the nose can be excessively wide. With poor technique grafts can warp or be visible. Putting in grafts does make the surgery longer. The recovery may also be longer. However, it is well worth a long-lasting result. 

It is always a good idea to ask your surgeon about their techniques and what to expect in the recovery both immediately after surgery and in the long run. Safety comes first. 

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Recovery

The best course of action is to touch base with your surgeon to determine how best to care for your nose. Another option would be to seek in-person examination from a rhinoplasty specialist to ensure your nose is healing as it should.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Swelling , some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.
It's too early to make value judgments at this point of your post op.
Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD