Why did my surgeon choose textured implants vs smooth implants for my breast augmentation ?

Pre op: tubular breast; left breast B cup, right breast Small C cup Post op: Benelli lift on left breast 375 cc Anchor lift on right breast 300 cc

Textured versus smooth implants

Often times shaped implants which are usually textured are used in tuberous breast deformity augmentation. This could be the reason why. It is important to maintain follow up with your board certified plastic surgeon and something to jot down and remember to ask when you see her/him in follow up. Best of luck, MMT

Textured silicone implants

I have used smooth walled implants for many, many years with great results. About two years ago, I began using textured gels in some of my more complex revision cases and have really grown to like them. There is nothing wrong with using smooth walled implants; I still use them. However , textured devices (even round textured devices) give excellent results as well, and tend to not move around in the pocket as much.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS

Textured vs smooth implants.

Your surgeon should answer this question, but it is a individual preference of the surgeon.  Some surgeons feel that there is less scar tissue forming around textured implants than around smooth implants, but the datsa does not support this theory.

Implant choices are purely based on surgeon preference

and there may be theoretical advantages to using textured implants in some situations.  I do not see any benefit to the textured round implant but the textured shaped could help in some cases such as when placed above the muscle or trying to expand the lower poles such as with tuberous breasts.  But I get good results with smooth round implants and those are my implants of choice. 

Curtis Wong, MD

Textured vs smooth implants

I suspect with all the asymmetry going on in your breasts that your PS wanted to make sure the implants stayed in place.  Texture implants do that better than smooth.

Christopher Costanzo, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Textured vs. smooth gell implants

Traditionally, the textured implants were felt to minimize capsular contracture when compared to the smooth implants; however, following placement of implants in the subpectoral pocket, and improvements in implant shell thickness and internal implants that are more cohesive, this has not been as common as a problem; to that end, I prefer the smooth gell implant because it prevents the implant from getting stuck if you inadvertantly pull them up; this is in contrast to the textured implants that may get stuck and are less maneuverable.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Textured Implants

Just as there are many reasons why a woman may choose to have a breast augmentation, there are also several types of implants to choose from. The best type of implant for the surgery will be determined by a number of circumstances, and your surgeon will make a recommendation based on your personal goals, age and other factors.

Textured implants are the least likely to move around inside the breast pocket because the texture allows for scar tissue to develop around it, holding the implant more firmly in place.

Should you have concerns about your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon's recommendations, it may be best to speak with them directly. 

All the best. 

Breast Augmentation

Implant choices are many including shape, size. surface (textured or smooth) and gel consistency. All these aspects of plastic surgery have to be discussed in full prior to surgery so the patient can make an informed decision. Understanding your options is the first step.

Frank J. Ferraro, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Implant Selection

Thank you for your question. There are a number of reasons why your surgeon may have chosen textured implants - for one, they have the lowest rate of capsular contracture (a dreaded potential side effect of breast implants). Secondly, because you had an accompanying lift in conjunction with implant placement, the textured implants tend to "stay better" and will not fall as much as smooth implants - some surgeons prefer to use these to prolong the longevity of fullness and perkiness of the breasts. To be honest, it comes down to surgeon experience and personal preference. I would suggest you ask your Plastic Surgeon - I'm sure he or she will be able to give you their reasoning behind implant selection. Best of luck!