Is it a sunburn or something more serious after my BA? I've never gotten burned before.

I had my BA done on April 8th 2016 its been almost 4 Months now and yesterday I went to the beach and got what appears to be a pink light sunburn on my right breast, the other one is normal and the "burn" doesnt hurt which leaves me wondering because I was never one to get sunburned in the first place and now I got sunburned. Could this be a sunburn Because my skin there is more sensitive now or something more serious like an infection?

Sunburn after BA

Thank you for your question.  What you are describing sounds like just a sunburn and nothing more serious.  Signs of infection are redness around the breast, tenderness and fevers.  This is all quite unlikely this far out from surgery. If something changes, best to see your surgeon.  

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Sunburns are not impacted by augmentation

and if its fleeting as its anticipated to be, its nothing.  If you have thickening of the skin with increasing redness and pains and possibly fevers, it could be more than a sunburn, such as an incidental insect bite you did not appreciate.  If its worsening in any way, you should see your surgeon for an exam and recommendations.

Curtis Wong, MD

Sun Burn

Skin can be more sensitive and prone to burning while you are still swollen post op but at this point after surgery it should be nothing more than a regular burn related to sun exposure. If you note other changes or concerns contact your Plastic Surgeon.
All the best

Breast aug and sun burn

No worries about the sun burn now 4 months post operative.  However, if your surgery was just one or two weeks ago, then there may be a problem, but unlikely.

Breast augmentation

It sounds from your description that is probably a sun burn, but other things such as infection cannot be ruled out without further examination.  I recommend you make an appointment with your surgeon for your peace of mind. f the redness increases, you develop a fever or pain see your doctor right away.  

Camille Cash, MD

Breast augmentation - do i have a sun burn?

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.Although it sounds as though you have a sun burn, one absolutely cannot diagnose a skin condition based on a description. What about sending your plastic surgeon a photo of what has happened and ask if s/he should see you.  Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your redness reaction.  Based on your narrative alone it sounds as if this is most likely a sunburn and not a reaction to your breast augmentation surgery.  Without a full series of photographs, the best method of assuring no other issues would be to see your surgeon for an in-person evaluation.  Hope this helps.

Sunburn after Breast Augmentation

Most likely this will resolve itself.  Over the years I've seen breasts react to heat after a BA.  Until the blood vessels and lymphatics grow back that were disrupted during the surgery, your breasts are less likely to tolerate extreme heat and sun exposure.  Check with your PS and see what he/she thinks.

Christopher Costanzo, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Sunburn after BA

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on the information given in your post, and without a photo to examine, I would say that this is probably a sun burn. That being said it is hard to diagnose this abnormality since you do not usually burn. I would definitely see your plastic surgeon for an evaluation because it is impossible to give an accurate response without seeing the pink spot in person. It does not sound like an infection all of a sudden. Best wishes

Traci Temmen, MD

Ask your surgeon

You should check with your surgeon as only your surgeon would know the exact procedure performed and your medical history.