I'm so stuck between getting 400 and 450 cc's. What's better for my size? (Photos)

I'm 5'5 148lbs I'm getting lipo and breast augmentation this Thursday but I'm afraid that if I chose the 450, my breast wont fit my new flat tummy. What size is better for my figure? Also, I think I need a nipple lift, yes or no?

Breast Implant Sizing Issues

You will need to be sized in office with a tight, unpadded bra and sizers in front of the mirror.  This will immediately solve your problem.  You might benefit from a circumareolar lift/reduction.  Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that specialize in all aspects of cosmetic surgery, not just implants. Best of luck!

Implant sizes

Thank you for your photos! A difference of 50ccs in an implant of that is in the 400cc range is a very minimal difference. It is best to allow the surgeon during the surgery to use a sizer and determine what looks best during the operation. Many times, an implant that seems perfect outside the body looks terrible once put into place and a different size is ultimately used. Allowing your surgeon the option to use either one will give him or her more freedom in picking the one that gives you the best aesthetic result. Given the implant size and your nipple position, is unlikely that you will need a lift as well. If it is necessary in the long-run, you can have it performed at a later time. Hope this helps!!!

Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Breast implant volume considerations #plasticsurgery

The choice is really yours to make - 50 cc will not make much a visual difference, especially for submuscular implants. When faced with this choice, some patients choose to go a little bigger and very few regret this decision.

I'm so stuck between getting 400 and 450 cc's. What's better for my size?

Some surgeons prefer having the patient select the actual implant size in advance of the surgery.  I personally prefer to review the patient's goals and photos before choosing the final implant during the surgery when I can see the actual result using sizers.  I feel this gives me greater flexibility to my patients' advantage. So to answer your question, I would lean toward the smaller of the two sizes for your frame but would be prepared based on your goals to be flexible during your procedure.

The weight of an implant will put tension on your skin therefore widening and stretching your relaxed areolae.  I think that a conservative Benelli mastopexy will narrow your areolae and slightly raise your nipple position for your aesthetic benefit.  

Keep in mind this advice is based solely on your photos and might differ after a face to face examination and consultation.

Regards and good luck.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Implant size nipple lift

When my patients narrow an implant size choice down to two implant sizes, I usually ask them the following question:

Are you more worried about wishing you had gone bigger, or more worried that you will end up too big?

If it is the former, choose the larger size.  If it is the latter, choose the smaller size.  Make an agreement with yourself that no matter what, you won't second-guess your choice after surgery.

As far as the nipple lift, based on these pictures, I don't think you need it.  Your nipple-areolas are at the most projecting part of your breast and are pointing straight ahead.

Best breast implants for me?

Thank you for the question.   Based on your photographs, I think you are an excellent candidate for breast augmentation surgery should have a very nice outcome with either of the breast implant sizes that you have mentioned. If you wish to have the nipple/areola complexes smaller or sitting higher on your chest wall, then circumareolar (Benelli) breast lifting would be indicated. 

***Given that your surgery is coming up soon (and your ongoing concerns), I would suggest that you schedule additional time to spend with your plastic surgeon communicating your goals, preferably prior to the date of surgery.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as  “natural” or "C or D cup” or "won't fit lower body proportions" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.  Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery,  after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast  augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes. 

I always suggest you have the discussion with your plastic surgeon and then leave the fill volume (ccs) to the experts. All you see is the difference of 50 cc but we see a difference in projection and width of those 2 implants. It is better for you to decide on a look that you want and to discuss that with your surgeon.

It is really Based on the look you're trying to achieve. Both are very similar in size where you won't see a massive difference between the two sizes. It is always suggested to try on sizers in the office and see what you feel most comfortable in. The size of the implant you choose can look very different on each patient and is really based on the proportion of your height, weight, shoulder width, hip width, etc., so to say an exact size that is best suggested for you is very difficult. 400cc implants are a very commonly used sized in our practice, although almost every  patient wishes they went bigger regardless of the size they choose. We strongly do not suggest using large implants as there are more risks associated with larger implants. 

Mahmood Kara, MD

Implant size

The appropriate implant size is very subjective although the two sizes you mention only vary by about 10 percent.  The best way to

Choose is to see lots of photos either online or in doctors photo books. The 400 will

Probably equal a large C or small D.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

What's better for your size?

It is very difficult to determine the best lift you will need (recommended based on your photos) or the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 300 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. The same process goes for just filling in the upper part of your breast without becoming much larger. Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the link below including silicone vs saline implants