Stitches in my nose 2 weeks after rhinoplasty?

I was cleaning out dried blood and found one (non dissolvable) stitch underneath right inside my left nostril on the bottom and i am not able to get it removed until saturday. Could that be the reason my left nostril seems smaller and more swollen than my right one? They were almost identical in the cast.

2 weeks post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.
It's too early to make value judgments at this point of your post op.
Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Stitches in the nose 2 weeks after rhinoplasty

Non-absorbable stitches may be found as the swelling goes down. I sometimes wait to remove a non-absorbable stitch, because it will be easier once the swelling goes down. It is a better alternative than beating up the tissue trying to dig the stitch out. It should not affect your outcome.

Swelling often goes down on one side and then the other in rhinoplasty. The tip area calms down the last. It is a healing process. It will take time until you can see your result. I recommend talking with your surgeon about your healing process based on the extent of surgery and skin thickness. Your surgeon may also suggest some safe strategies to prevent additional swelling.

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stitch and swelling in rhinoplasty

do not worry about the stitch - there is no problem with having it taken out on saturday.  in regards to it being the cause of the asymmetry, that is highly unlikely.  Unfortunately, in the nose, the healing process in it of itself can cause some asymmetries (some parts heal faster than others due to skin thickness, how much work was done in certain areas, motion of muscles, etc....lots of variables).  The most important thing you mentioned was that things looked symmetric when the cast was removed after surgery.  Once the swelling resolves the symmetry should return.  That being said, keep an eye on it and mention to your PS when they see you saturday.  Best of luck. 

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Residual suture

It is unlikely that this is the cause of the asymmetric appearance.  Often swelling occurs in an asymmetric manner, which can be due to multiple factors.  Since you noted the 2 sides to be symmetric immediately post surgery, the symmetry should retuen once the swelling resolves. 

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD