Are my stitches infected? Please help. (photos)

Sorry for the grotesque picture, but i had to get a close up. It is now 3 months post op my rhinoplasty and this one stitch on the side of my nose (dissolvable clear type) keeps poking out and it has been like this for a month. I fiddled around with it last night and woke up to it looking like this, any home remedies? Should i see a plastic surgeon to fix it or a dermatologist thank you

Are my stitches infected?

Dear luvjelena, You have what we call a spitting suture which needs removal. Contact your surgeons office and have them remove the stitch. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Suture reaction

The suture is a foreign object to your body and these dissolvable sutures can cause a reaction as a result. The suture needs to be removed in order for the problem to resolve and this can be easily done by contacting your surgeon and scheduling an appointment to have it removed. 

Kristina Tansavatdi, MD

Spitting suture at alar base

The spitting suture should be removed.  your plastic surgeon should be able to do this quickly in the office.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Spitting sutures

you have what we call a spitting suture. Often times it is a race between our bodies to dissolve the suture vs. extruding the suture out. Whichever way, your body sees it as a foreign body and is trying to get rid of it. I would definitely go see your plastic surgeon. He or she will know what was done and can cut it out or try to calm the inflammation with some kenalog. 

Lily Lee, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Stitch abscess

Hi. If you can see a clear stitch poking out from your skin, this is probably one of the deep stitches which were placed during your surgery. Based on the picture you likely have a small stitch abscess (difficult to be sure from a picture). You should see your surgeon so he/she can remove the stitch and this will clear everything up. Until then, you may want to clean it with dilute peroxide and apply antibiotic ointment.

Arash Moradzadeh, MD