How soon can I start treating my scars after having surgery?

Mini TT or skin only TT exactly one month ago; stitches have all been removed and incision lines are closed. Is it now safe to begin treating the scars??

Mini Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Massage your scars!

Hi

The best treatment for scars is regular daily massage. Once your wounds have completely healed up, (usually within 2 weeks), it is safe to start gently massaging your scars with aquaphor or vaseline. Use one of your finger tips and rub your scar gently in a circular motion with the chosen ointment. After a month, you can start to use a scar gel (containing silicone) of your choice to massage into the scar with a little more pressure. This should be done daily for a few months to get the best results with your scar maturing. If at any point you have open wounds, do not massage or apply anything to the wounds until you have consulted a doctor. 

Ben Brown, MD
Pensacola Plastic Surgeon

One month is the best time

There are a number of different scar care products that we use to accelerate the fading of the tummy tuck scar best applied after 1 month.

Gary Lawton, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

When can I use scar cream post tummy tuck?

Hi Narcissus12,As long as you have no open areas or wound break-down on your incision, 4 weeks post op is a good time to begin using a scar cream.

Steven Vath, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Dr derby

Thank you for your photos. In general it is safe to start with topical products after 1 month, but of course consult this with your surgeon first. Best of luck 

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Scar treatments can be started as early as 2 weeks with adequate healing

Hi Narcissus12.  It is not possible to say with certainty without an in person examination, but yes, generally speaking, one month postop is a safe time to treat scars with topical products. Silagen silicone strips/belt placed atop the scar provides the benefits of silicone and serves as a great barrier to pressure, rubbing, etc. from clothing.  More invasive treatments like lasers, microneedling, etc. require more time.  Check with your operating surgeon on what they recommend and if they are satisfied with your healing to date before initiating any treatments.  Best wishes,

Vaishali B. Doolabh, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Scar cream

Hello and thank you for your question. You can start using scar creams as soon as four weeks. Of course, that is if there are no open wounds and if you are healing very well. Please consult with your surgeon for a physical examination and if your surgeon gives you the OK.

Peter Newen, MD