Can I start PRP treatment before male pattern baldness?

I start loss my hair in my late 20s. Male members in my father's family and my mother's family all have the same problem. My little brother is in his mid 20s. His hairline is normal comparing with people of his age group. He is wondering if PRP treatment can start before hair loss occurs?

PRP Treatment

Yes, you can start PRP treatments before you start to experience hair loss. PRP can help restore hair loss by converting hair follicles in the Telogen phase back into the Anagen phase.

Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

PRP Before Balding

Thanks for your question!
I recommend to my patients who are concerned with thinning/balding to start to do several things, one of which is PRP injections.  I would also recommend starting professional grade hair specific vitamins and possibly the use of Rogaine.  Be sure to consult with a hair loss expert for his/her opinion.  Best of luck to you!

Thank you for posting your question. You can absolutely start or do a treatment of PRP before any hair-loss occurs. There will not be any side effects to rejections since it is your own platelets. 

Matt Tahsini, MD
Pasadena Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair loss -- PRP, Progesterone, Viviscal, Rogaine, Finesteride

I do PRP and progesterone three four a year on my scalp as prevention.  I suggest you see an expert for an evaluation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

PRP to prevent Male Pattern Baldness

The only treatment that we know for sure can prevent or slow down male pattern baldness is Finasteride (propecia). 

The reason male pattern baldness occurs is that the hormone Dihydrotestosterone binds to susceptible hair follicles and causes inflammation which over time causes hair loss.  Finasteride decreases the amount of Dihydrotestosterone in ones blood. 

PRP is a treatment which ones platelets are concentrated and injected back into the area to be treated.  Platelets have lost of growth factors which help stimulate hair growth.   Theoretically PRP may be able to reverse the effects of the inflammation cause by Dihydrotestosterone, but there is no evidence of that.   And even if it did, the dihydrotetsoterone will be around to continue harming suceptable hair follicles.

I would recommend you brother goes on Finasteride 1mg a day to prevent hair loss. If for some reason he has side affects on the Finasteride then I would give PRP a try. 

Paul Shapiro, MD
Minneapolis Hair Restoration Surgeon

PRP for prevention? ENGLEWOOD Cliffs NJ

In my opinion, PRP can be used to increase hair thickness , decrease hair loss and regrow hair. Whether  it will prevent, not control, a genetic alopecia is doubtful . Remember that genetic alopecia needs to have treatment maintenance. We have treated several such young male individuals  and perform injections twice a year. It has suppressed hair loss but we have not discontinued treatment. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon

PRP and male pattern baldness

Here are some facts-

1. No good studies to show that it can prevent. 

2. PRP works better for females

3. Males best on medical treatment (minoxidil, finesteride, duasteride etc..)

4. PRP can slow down the process, but initial treatment needed, followed up by sessions at 3 months , 6 months then yearly. 

All the best

Dr Davin Lim
Laser Dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia.

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

PRP to prevent hair loss

There are currently no studies to show if PRP can prevent hair loss before it occurs.  However, doing PRP may indeed prevent hair loss and help maintain your hair.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green