Sports bra fit after BA?

I am 6 weeks post op from my breast augmentation. I am having a difficult time finding sports bras that fit properly. Either the band is too big and the cup fits right or the cup is too tight and the band fits right. Is it important for the band to fit snugly to offer proper support? Or will the cups fitting well offer enough support?

Bra Cup Sizing

Thank you for your question. Bra sizing can be tricky regardless as manufacturers do not have set standards. If you expand the width of bra band you will typically need to decrease the cup size at the same time in order to maintain a fit as cups grow with the band. Therefore, a 36 B and 34C may have roughly the same cup size. You may want to try finding a band that fits comfortably and a different sized cup with it. Ask your Plastic Surgeon if they have brands that they recommend.

All the best

The wrong Bra

Hello.  Thanks for your question.  8 out of 10 women use the wrong bra.  Yes,  that's a huge number.    That's is because most women try to give all the support of their breast by adjusting the band.  This results in a lot of problems in the future like should pain,  column deviation,  etc.   Try to find a Bra that the cup fits properly with your breast,  because thats your best support and  try not to over adjust the band.  I know sometimes is hard to find the right one but you'll have to keep on doing your search.

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Bra fitting after Breast Augmentation

This is a very common problem.  Women often have a hard time finding an appropriate bra - sports bra or otherwise - regardless of whether they have had a breast surgery or not!

Finding an appropriate bra depends on two factors: 1. the cup size and 2. the band size.  The band size is calculated by measuring around the base of your chest just beneath your breasts and should be reasonably consistent.  The cup size, however, has a lot of variability.  For example, two different companies cup sizes often don't match.  Similarly, a 32C cup and a 40C are entirely different cup sizes, even though they are both called "C".

Sports bras are particularly difficult because they are often sized as S, M, L, XL, XXL etc, which assumes women are all the same shape (as opposed to accounting for band size and cup size), when clearly we are not!

You want to make sure that the band fits well, but then find a make and model of bra that accommodates the implants in the cup size.  Sometimes it isn't possible to find this on the shelf in an every day store.  You might need to go to a specialty bra shop, where they can both measure you to determine your actual size, but also where they carry more options and therefore might have something that works better. Good luck.

Sports bra fit after BA?

I recommend to avoid underwire bras for at least the first three months after surgery. I recommended is to wear a garment and avoid underwire.
Best wishes!!

Finding the perfect Sports bra

Thank you for this great question! This is a very common issue following breast augmentation surgery. I am always careful to discuss the importance of patience when starting your new bra shopping. It is important for your sports bra to be able to offer support and comfort which is not always the easiest to find when you are still trying to determine your new bra size as well. I always suggest looking into brands and boutiques that you may not have shopped at previously as bra sizes change depending on the manufacturer as well as the supplier. Take this opportunity to really have fun in shopping for the new right fit and do not settle for something that just does not feel 'right' as this indicates you are not in the correct size or style of bra. I hope that you have found this information helpful and I wish you luck! 

Ronald Downs, MD, FACS
South Bend Plastic Surgeon

Sports bra fit after BA

Thank you for your excellent question.  Of course you would want a sports bra to be both supportive around your rib cage but also limit the motion of your implants during activity.  I would recommend continuing your search at either boutique garment stores in your area as well as lululemon stores as my patients with similar problems were able to find better garments there.  Hope this helps.

Sports bra proper fit?

I'm sorry to hear that you are having troubles finding a properly fitting bra, but you are not alone.  I hear frequent complaints about either the band or cup not fitting properly regardless of whether the surgery has been an augmentation or reduction.  If you are 6 weeks out, your PS may be OK with you going without a bra, even for exercise, though the extra support is nice.  The band fit is likely more important than the cup fit for support, but one could argue either way.  It may be necessary to have your bras properly fitted for your everyday bras (non-sports bra).  Always best to get recommendations from your surgeon.  Best of luck!

Jeffrey A. Sweat, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Bra fitting after BA

Thank you for your question.  I am not sure of your height and weight but some petite women who have large implants have a harder time fitting for bra's due to the disproportion.  I recommend getting fitted by a store that has experienced fitters .  

Chad Robbins, MD