Sliding genioplasty with existing jaw implants possible?

I have a chin implant and jaw implants. I'm happy with my jaw implants, but my chin implant still doesn't give me the projection I'd like. Is it possible to keep my jaw implants and have a sliding genioplasty or does this disrupt the procedure? Thank you.

Sliding Genioplasty

Great question.  

It is possible to have a sliding genioplasty with your jaw implants.  The cuts for the sliding genioplasty are in front of the jaw implants, and should not impact them.   

Chin implants

I think that your chin projection looks good, but if you are wanting more projection then a sliding geniolpasty is best. The reason that I prefer a sliding genioplasty is that you can also increase the height of the chin at the same time and the bone plates allow us to be so precise with the advancement. There is a risk of infection with a new incision in the same area, as well as migration of the current implant depending upon how it was secured, so you may want to have the surgeon consider removing the implant at the time of surgery. 

Sliding genoplasty

It is possible to do a  secondary sliding genioplasty by either removing the chin implant or keeping it in place and carrying it forward with the horizontal chin bone movement.

Jaw implants and genioplasty

No, it is possible to remove the chin implant and have a genioplasty. It should be done to 'blend' in with the jawline implants at the same time. Infection risk is increased depending upon the time of the original procedure.

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon