My skin easily gets sunspots. Is Fraxel good for me?

When I was only 16 years old, I had many sunspots. I didn't really go out that much. Only once a week I stayed outside for more than 1 hour when I went to trips, Actually, my skin was mostly pale. At some point I had a treatment to remove them one by one with laser that got rid of each by burning them. Now I am 25 years old and I want to have Fraxel treatment. I've heard that some people get hyper pigmentation after the treatment. Is Fraxel right for me?

Sun spots vs pigmentation

If you purely have sun spots, namely sun damage, freckles, or brown pigment due to sun exposure, sure Fraxel can be very effective. Personally I prefer the 1927 over the 1550 as your damage is superficial. If sun spots are mis-diagnosed and you have melasama, than Fraxel without medical creams can worsen your pigmentation. 

I think having a through examination by a board certified Plastics or Dermatologist is your first step. 

All the best

Dr Davin Lim
Dermatologist

Brisbane Dermatologist

Fraxel Dual can work well for sun spots

Fraxel Dual can be great for reducing sun spots in the right candidate. Hyperpigmentation can often be avoided by making sure to visit a Fraxel expert who will be honest about whether you are a good candidate for the treatment and who is skilled at performing the treatment. At my practice, we have performed thousands of Fraxel treatments with very good results. I recommend visiting a board-certified dermatologist for an in-person consultation to see if Fraxel is right for you. 

William Groff, DO
San Diego Dermatologist

Fraxel Dual for sunspots

Fraxel Dual can be a very good treatment for sunspots.  With all laser treatments, there is risk of hyperpigmentation especially if you are tan, have skin conditions that predispose you to hyperpigmentation (melasma), or have a darker skin tone. I recommend a consultation with a board certified cosmetic dermatologist to see which treatment would be best for your specific skin concerns, taking into consideration your risk factors for hyperpigmentation. Take care.  Anne Marie Tremaine, MD

Anne Marie Tremaine, MD
Naples Dermatologic Surgeon

Is Fraxel Right for Me?

Hi 500C.  If sunspots is your concern that Fraxel is not the right laser.  Fraxel lasers are designed primarily to help with texture issues - wrinkles, acne scars, pores, etc.  None of their lasers are specifically designed to remove sun damage or sun spots.  

If you have small freckle like spots or even darker moles (nevi), consider seeking out a practice that uses q-switched lasers.  If you have lighter spots or very mild sun damage, then IPL may do the trick.  

To see before and after pictures of q-switched laser treatments for sun damage in our Los Angeles patients, click on the link below.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Fraxel

Great Question, Fraxel is a great laser to help with resurfacing and pigmentation of the skin. However if you are prone to melasma or post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation it may not be the right choice for you depending on your skin tone. It would be best for you to get a consult by a board certified dermatologist who is familiar with Fraxel laser to assess if you would be a good candidate. Without seeing you're skin type and issues you are looking to address I am unable to give you the best direction to take. Best of Luck.

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist

The Nd:Yag is considered the most effective laser for brown sunspots. Fraxel® laser can also be effective in lightening brown sunspots, but results vary from patient to patient. Please consult a board certified aesthetic dermatologist for a consultation.

Manjula Jegasothy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Fraxel Dual for Sun Spots

I love my Fraxel Dual for Sun Spots.  It may take up to 3 treatments if you have a significant amount of sun spots but it is like a "magic eraser."  Please consult a board certified dermatologist for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

Best to Check With a Specialist First

Questions about which laser is the best treatment for specific skin conditions are common. As a board-certified dermatologist who uses a range of laser and light energy treatments, including Fraxel, the best way to determine the most effective treatment in your case is by consulting with a specialist who can offer various treatment options. Fraxel can be a great treatment for pigment-related issues, but it may not be the best choice if you are predisposed to hyperpigmentation. Other options may include IPL or microdermabrasion. I recommend you consult with an experienced cosmetic dermatologist to be sure your treatment is successful. Best of luck!

Susan M. Stuart, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Fraxel Dual laser

The Fraxel Dual laser improves freckling and sun spots.  You should consult a dermatologist who can give you advice on products that will complement your treatments and you must use daily sun protection.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Sun Spots and Treatment Options -- Fraxel, CO2, Viva, Microneedling, IPL

The fact is for this you need a combination treatments and will need life long sun protection and combinations.  I suggest you see an expert for an evaluation who can give you a treatment plan.  Fraxel DUAL 1927 is amazing for freckles/sunspots and can be combined with other treatments for best results.  Best, Dr. Emer.