Size/Tuberous Breast, constricted breasts. (photos)

I'm here because I just went to my dr. Appointment and he told me I have tuberous breast (constricted breast ) he told me that I might have to get to breast augmentation he said that there's a chance of don't needing a 2nd one , do you think I wound have to be needing an second one ? I'm 5'2 tall and weight around 119 pounds with good size gluteus I do exercise my Dr. Suggest me a 375 cc but I would like to achieve a DD's size bra I wouldn't want to be less than 500cc's

Tuberous Breasts/Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

Constricted or tubular breasts tend to be too narrow with a breast crease that is too high. Tight ring-like bands of tissue around the areolae and nipples may create the appearance of protruding or puffy areolae. A higher than normal breast crease may make your nipples appear to be too low or down pointing. Constricted breast features can be very mild or severe. In fact, mild variations are relatively common. To summarize, the features can include:
  • Inframammary fold (breast crease) too high
  • Inframammary fold misshapen
  • Breasts too narrow (disproportionately narrow base width)
  • Insufficient breast skin
  • Constricted or tubular shape, resulting from tight bands of tissue within breasts
  • Protruding or bulging appearance of areolae (pigmented area around nipples)
Improvement is possible and generally includes a breast augmentation, sometimes combined with a lift (mastopexy). The lift is usually limited to an incision around the areolae. During the procedure, I release the tight, constricting bands from the inside, allowing the skin to expand properly. I also lower the inframammary fold to a more ideal position and improve its shape. Breast implants help create the right amount of volume and improve breast contours, resulting in a more rounded or tear drop shape.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Jaime S. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute
#RealSelf100Surgeon

Tuberous or constricted breasts

Your pictures demonstrate you may have a mild case of this which can be corrected with a Breast Augmentation and some maneuvers to the breasts.  A 500cc implant might be too large for your frame and lead to an undesirable appearance.  Discuss this with a Plastic Surgeon

Christopher Costanzo, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breasts

Hi. thank you for your question and photos.  I do think that based on the size you wish to achieve you might need two surgeries because your tissues might not be able to tolerate such a large implant at first.  Safety first is my motto.  This is elective surgery so make sure you are going to a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who performs a lot of breast augmentation surgeries. Best of luck to you

Milind K. Ambe, MD

Patient Education

Unfortunately, your consultation didn't leave you with the information necessary for you to understand breast augmentation in general, or your particular situation. You're worried that you might need a revision surgery, but you disagree with your doctor's recommendation and want a much bigger implant to achieve a bra cup size that you think you want. 

You need to stop and think for a minute. You need to understand that breast augmentation is not limitless, and that the most common reason for complications that lead to reoperation is inappropriately large implants. This is true even more for women with constricted breasts like you. 

You should have a few more consults with ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons and abandon your preconceived notions about what you think you want or what you think you can get.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Augmentation with tuberous constricted breasts.

Thank you for your photographs.  I believe that there is much risk in attempting to place too large an implant for the soft tissue coverage that you have.  Relaxing the lower pole of your breast has its limits and I would agree with a more conservative augmentation accompanied by elevation of your nipple areolar areas anticipating a second surgery after one to two years when your tissues will accept a larger sized implant.  Going too large at this time would be fraught with risks and disappointment in my opinion.

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Tubular breasts

You have hypo plastic and tubular breasts. Going into the 500 cc range will most likely increase stretch marks and risks for hematoma. 
Serial expansion with two surgeries best option 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Tuberous Braest Constriction

Tuberous breasts do not need correction, but if you want to change their appearance and increase their size this can be done through skilled breast augmentation surgery. I recommend that you seek a board certified Plastic Surgeon who specializes in this area.

My patients find it helpful to try on the implant sizers with a form fitting t-shirt in the office in order to get an idea of the look they are comfortable with.

All the best

Tuberous breast implant size

It sounds as though your doctor has your best interest in mind by selecting a moderate size.

Tuberous breast surgery 'snoopy breast correction' is very difficult.  It involves simultaneous nipple-areolar reduction, correction of asymmetry, and placement of an implant.  Therefore the chance of needing a touch-up is very high.

There are ways to minimize the chance of revision:  conservative sizes, selecting the appropriate implant projection, and some scoring of the internal tissues.  Too much of any of those causes trouble, sometimes uncorrectable trouble if nipple vascularity is compromised by excessive scoring, for example.

Correction of tuberous breasts are definitely the 'graduate course', as they say, so experience is a must.

Brent Moelleken, MD