My right side is hard and bruised after tummy tuck. Should I massage it or put heat on that side? Left side is fine. (photo)

my right side is very hard and looks swollen and bruised after tummy tuck and lipo of my flanks. My dr didn't seem concerned at my appt yesterday. He said it could be due to me leaning more on my right side when I sleep. But I noticed it's been like this since my surgery (11 days ago). should I add heat to my side or massage it or just leave it alone? I'll contact my dr as well but I wanted to get more opinions before I talk to my dr so I know what to ask him and what to look out for. Thanks!

Don't worry

Hello, thanks for your inquiry and for your picture. If your surgeon was not concerned there should not be any problem. It is too soon to think of a problem. Try to eat healthy and wear your compression garment. Follow all your doctor's post op care advice. Good luck!
Dr. Jaime Campos-Leon

Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Bruising and firmness after tummy tuck

Bruising just means that there has been some bleeding in the skin or beneath the skin. It's common, and resolves on its own. The only real problem that might occur in this setting is a hematoma, meaning that there is significant bleeding between the skin and the muscle layer, leading to the hardness you described. If your surgeon saw you yesterday and wasn't concerned, then that should be reassuring. It's common for there to be some areas that feel and look better than others after surgery.

Andres Taleisnik, MD

My right side is hard and bruised after tummy tuck.

I appreciate your concern but you say your surgeon has examined this area and given his opinion. I think you need to listen to him and not seek online advice from surgeons who have not had the opportunity to examine the area. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon