One side won't drop after 11 months (photo)

Right side dropped after 6 months of BA. Left side is still hard and hasn't dropped. I do massage them equally. Anything else I can do? Doctor recommended to have scar tissue removal surgery. Is it only option I have ?

Breast Asymmetry

You have capsular contracture, a very common complication after breast augmentation, especially when it is performed though periareolar incisions.  Unfortunately, you have been wasting your time doing massage; this does not prevent or treat capsular contracture.
Your surgeon is correct, you will need a second surgery. However, I recommend you seriously consider the importance of minimizing the recurrence of capsular contracture by making the right choices for you surgery:

1. access through an inframammary incision to avoid recontamination of the implant.
2. complete removal of all the scar tissue around the affected implant, all in one piece, to minimize recontamination of the pocket. 
3. replacement with a new implant, not the old one that has been 'cleaned'.  Your implant is likely covered in a biofilm that contains bacteria and it cannot be completely removed off of the surface of the implant.
4. you do not need an expensive biologic material known as ADM, with brand names like Alloderm or Strattice.

Capsular contracture

You look as if you have capsular contracture. Which, yes, will need to be fixed with surgery at this point. Massage won't do a thing to improve the situation so you can stop. I am sorry that you are experiencing this, but it can happen. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Breast implant won't drop

If your implant is firm on your left, it is likely that you have a capsular contracture.  Early on this can sometimes be treated with medication (singulair)  but at this point you would need surgery to remove the capsule and exchange for a new implant.  Contact a board certified plastic surgeon.  

Raymond Jean, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Capsular Contracture after Breast Augmentation

It appears that you have capsular contracture on the left breast. Unfortunately, there is no great non-surgical way to get rid of the contracture. There has been some evidence that allergy medications can decrease forming contracture but with this much asymmetry, it is best to have that scar tissue removed so you will have a soft natural and symmetric breast augmentation. We don't know all the causes of contracture so we can't totally prevent it. We do know that it can be caused by infection and bleeding and it is more closely associated with implants on top of the muscle and smoking. Best wishes.

Likely contracture

If it's firmer, less mobile and never dropped or is now moving up then you likely have contracture on the left. The question I would ask is which side do you prefer? The left can have capsulectomy but kept higher and right raised to match or, you can do a capsulectomy and lower he left. Best to discuss with your surgeon. Best of luck. 

Breast implant asymmetry

I can't really add to what has already been said apart from to ask if you have round or 'tear-drop' shaped implants. Your photos suggest a capsular contracture on the left but, if the implants are tear-drop then rotation of the implant might have contributed to this appearance. Either way, surgery is the only option to correct this I'm afraid. Best of luck

Thanks for the question.

This can be due to a number of possibilities. Certainly an early capsular contracture needs to be considered, especially if your left breast is more firm or sore. If your surgeon used textured implants, your left breast may have adhered more firmly than the right. And there is also the possibility of a double capsule on the left. 

It would be best to discuss your concerns with your original surgeon so that they can go through your options due to your concerns.

Justin Perron, MBBS, FRACS
Brisbane Plastic Surgeon

Were they always like this or did the left one go up and harden?

If they were like this from day 1 then the pocket was probably not made properly and needs lowering. If they were equal at the beginning and this evolved, it is likely capsular contracture scar tissue and needs surgery.

Capsule Formation

Most surgeons feel that the breast capsule stabilizes sometimes between 3-6 months. Usually, after 6 months, the capsule is likely mature. Although there is long term remodeling, if the implant is not in the ideal position, a revision surgery to remove or manipulate the capsule is likely needed after the 6 month mark. Every case and person is unique. There are also differences between silicone vs. saline and textured vs. smooth implants. 

Implant position after surgery should be discussed with your board-certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss treatment options. 

Tom S. Liu, MD, MBA
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

One side won't drop after 11 months

I'm sorry to hear about the ongoing asymmetry; at this point, it is unlikely that nonsurgical "modalities" will improve your symmetry. Depending on your physical examination and preferences, there is more than one way to improve your breast symmetry.  Best wishes.