Septoplasty or rhinoplasty? Doc recommends septo (Photo)

Good day I broke my nose 7 years ago but didnt get it checked. I decided to see an ENT for difficulty breathing. He says a septoplasty is enough to get a straight and even nose and breathe well too but if I happen to go under the knife I would like to address my whole nose and get a good job done. Is he right? Should I get a septo (according to him it would improve the aesthetics too) or go for a rhino to get rid of that hump and different side views? Would it be a difficult surgery?Thx a lot

Should I fix my broken nose with a septoplasty

Since your pictures display a round tip and dorsal hump you may benefit from also a rhinoplasty.  Commonly these procedures are performed together and each may benefit the other.  Since your trauma did not break the skin, have an obvious deformity or swelling you may proceed soon to have the septorhinoplasty.

It is best to consult several doctors.

Aliso Viejo Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septo vs. rhinplasty

If your septum is the only obstruction inside the nose causing breathing problems, then getting a septoplasty will help with breathing better.  This may or may not improve the looks of the nose depending what you might be unhappy with.  Depending on what changes you might want for your nose, you may benefit from a rhinoplasty.  I recommend you consult with a facial plastic surgeon in person.

Sunny Park, MD, MPH
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

POSSIBLE SEPTORHINOPLASTY CANDIDATE

Dear Crookedpinocchio, A septorhinoplasty is a combined procedure where the "septo" portion addresses fixing the deviated septum and functional aspects of the nose and the "rhinoplasty" portion addresses the aesthetic changes you would like. A consultation aided with digital imaging will help you see the proposed results taking into consideration the aesthetic changes you are looking for. Septorhinoplasty is a commonly performed procedure in my practice. While it's a very technical procedure in expert hands you should have a very natural looking result. See examples in the link below and video above. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Rhinoplasty and septoplasty procedures

A rhinoplasty and a septoplasty are 2 completely separate procedures, however both can be performed at the same time if needed. A septoplasty is performed on the inside of the nose to remove twisted cartilage and bone that is blocking air flow. A septoplasty is performed once medical necessity has been documented. A  septoplasty will not change the shape of the nose, only improve air flow dynamics. A rhinoplasty procedure is performed to straighten the nose, shave down a dorsal hump, refine the tip and narrow the bridge line, all for cosmetic purposes. Expect to pay for the cosmetic component yourself. For more information and  diagrams explaining the differences, along with many examples of rhinoplasty, please see the video and the link below

Septoplasty vs rhinoplasty

A septoplasty addressed a deviated or crooked septum, the inside partition that divides the nose into 2 nostrils.  This surgery does not change the external appearance of the nose, but rather straightens the septum to help with nasal airway obstruction.  If you want to make changes in the appearance of your nose at the same time--straighten a nose bridge hump, narrow the tip, etc--you would do well to explore a concurrent septoplasty and rhinoplasty,  Good luck!

Inessa Fishman, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and Deviated Nasal Septum

Good question! If you have concerns about the appearance of your nose, dorsal hump, tip shape and overall straightness, then you would benefit from rhinoplasty at the same time. A septoplasty alone, to improve your breathing, would not be able to completely address the aesthetic changes you desire in your nasal appearance. 

You should have a second opinion with an experienced Facial Plastic Surgeon who is Board Certified in Facial Plastic Surgery and ENT for their recommendations on how to best proceed. It is very common to have both surgeries at the same time and the recovery is essentially no more difficult for you. Hope this answer helps. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon