Seeking stronger, more masculine chin/cheeks/jaw? (Photo)

I have always had a very rounded face. I"m hoping to achieve more angularity and get a more chiseled masculine strong-jawline look. Please see my pictures included. Any feedback is appreciated

Masculine appearance

A combination of treatments would be required to make the changes that you are seeking. Fat removal in certain areas and chin, cheek, and angle of jawline implants are necessary to provide a Sharp masculine appearance. Good luck! 

How to achieve more angularity?

Without an exam your question cannot be answered.  You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation

Facial Reshaping

To really make a facial change you need the maximum combination of chin, jaw angle and cheek implants combined with buccal lipectomies, perioral and submental/neck liposuction. To change a round face a combination of bone augmentation and maximal fat reduction techniques.

Seeking Stronger, More Masculine Facial Contours

Although your pictures are not clear it does appear that you should consider chi/jowl and cheek implants combined with liposuction of the neck.

Facial roundness

You would benefit from facial liposuction.  Further recommendations will occur during and in office exam.  You may benefit from a chin implant or cheek implants but it isn't clear from the pictures.  Best wishes. 

David Alessi, MD

Seeking stronger, more masculine chin/cheeks/jaw?

A combination of implant, fat transfer and liposuction would help you meet your goals. You should also consider augmentation to the cheek with fat transfer or implant to help achieve amore chiseled look.

Curtis Perry, MD
Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon

Jawline definition

Your overlying tissue on the lower jaw is 'thick/full' and the bone is somewhat narrow. Your situation typically needs a combination of jawline augmentation and genioplasty to create a balanced defined bone contour; along with some liposculpture to thin out the tissues. 

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Chin implant candidate for weak and recessive chin profile

From the limited photographs, it appears that there is a weak and recessive chin profile for which a chin implant can improve. Placement of a chin implant will help  with facial balance and proportions by augmenting the mandible in a more forward position. In our practice, we have been using Implantech silastic chin implants for over 25 years with an excellent success rate. For more information about chin implants including diagrams of the implants themselves and many before-and-after examples, please see the link and the video below

Hi, I have performed many facial shaping procedures using dermal fillers, facial implants (cheek, chin), liposuction and/or facelifts for over 30 years. Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, men look chiseled and handsome with angularity in the cheeks, chin and mandibular angles.  From the photos, your cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front), the chin is weak as are the mandibular angles and there is excess facial fat in front and below the cheeks.  This combines to create an elongated oval shaped face.  The following procedures would create a more ruggedly handsome face.

• Cheek augmentation with cheek implants to add angularity to the cheeks and mid face.  This would be combined with liposuction to reduce the excess facial fat to further define the cheek shape.
  • Chin augmentation, using a chin implant, to add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.   I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.
  • Augmentation of the mandibular angles using a dermal filler (jaw implants have too many unwanted side effects IMHO) to add volume, angularity and flare to the jaw line.

Hope this helps.