Any suggestions for Scar Treatment?

I'm 2 week post op on tummy tuck..when can I start putting on s silicone strip for my scare..I still see my stitches which suppose to dissolve away..Thanks

What can I do to minimize my scar?

The best, least expensive and easiest way I have found to minimize my patients scars is to use ScaRxTape on them. This is placed beginning after two weeks when steristrips come off and changed infrequently, about one per week, and worn continuously for about 2-3 months.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Always confirm with your surgeon, but I would say 2 weeks post op is a good time to start putting on the silicone strips.  Remember to keep the area dry, clean and no sun exposure to help with the healing. 

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Scar treatment

Patience is the basis of scar treatment. 2 weeks after, is a limited time and inflammatory process is mandatory. You have to let your own body and genetics express on healing, if a proper surgical technique was performed. Silicone gel sheets are one of the best treatments available and you can start using it even after one or two months. It is important to protect the wound-scar with a high quality sunscreen ( titanium dioxide based) for the UV rays do not work over it. After 4-6 months follow up, additional treatments can be evaluated( fibrotic process can be treated with colagenase enzimes, as example)

Scar Treatment

Best Scar Management is important to minimize or completely hide from view, the telltale signs of your surgery—namely, scars. Both you and your surgeon want you to have the most minimal scarring possible. There are many possible causes for scars that are enlarged or not healing well. Unsightly scars are most commonly due to genetics, underlying medical conditions, or improper scar/wound care. The last part is very important and patients can make a noticeable difference in their scars’ appearance by following best scar management practices. Here are some simple tips.

Scar Management tips:
  1. Minimize tension on the scar. Steri-Strips and/or surgical tape are often placed in non-hair bearing areas at the time of surgery to minimize tension and keep pressure over the scar.  This minimizes the  stress that  can pull the scar apart (dehiscence) creating a wound and  delaying healing time, and can make the scar wider, or more “ropy”. In the first few weeks after surgery, I recommend the use of Embrace Scar Therapy which is an adherent silicone sheeting pre-stretched when applied so as to offload tension on the scar.
  2. Keep your incision site/scar clean to prevent infection. Follow your surgeon’s wound care instructions to the letter with out modification. Never apply different products then recommended without first discussing them with your surgeon. This is especially important during the first few weeks. If there are any signs of infection, contact your surgeon’s office right away and/or see your doctor or his nurse immediately. Typical signs of infection may include redness outside the immediate incision site, asymmetric swelling, and drainage, of pus, fever, chills, and “feeling sick”.
  3. Protect your scars from the sun. Staying out of the sun is the best advice. Minimal exposure to sunlight is prevents hyperpigmentation (permanently turning brown) and other problems that can make the scar more noticeable. Sunscreen, at least 30 SPF and an overlying make camouflage make up additionally protects the scar from the suns harmful rays. This advice is especially important the first year following your surgery.
  4. Use specific scar maturation products recommended by your surgeon. Patients seem to have their own opinions on this touting everything from Pure Vit E, Coco butter, to Aloe Vera, etc but most have minimal benefit other than keeping the scar hydrated. Although hydration is important there are better, scientifically studied products with greater efficacy. Most of the scientific articles written about this subject indicate that topical silicone gel or silicone sheets work the best. The best product available in my opinion is the Embrace Scar Therapy System by Neodyne BioSciences, Inc. available in many surgeons’ offices. Essentially this is an adherent silicone sheeting pre-stretched when applied so as to offload tension on the scar. For areas that are not applicable for this product (e.g. smaller areas or on the face), I prefer BioCorneum or Kelo-Cote products There are a lot of products to choose from, but silicone should be one of the key ingredients. Although Mederma, an onion extract derivative active ingredient rather than mainly silicone based may help, primarily silicone based products are better and many also contain other ingredients that may be synergistic (hydrocortisone or other steroid, Vitamin E, Sunscreen, etc).. If the reader has problems obtaining these they can call my office. Patient compliance is also critical – use often and according to directions or it will not work optimally. NEVER apply products without first discussing them with your surgeon.
  5. Monitor to make sure your scar is progressing optimally. Keep your scheduled follow-up appointments with your surgeon to verify that your scars are maturing as expected.  Occasionally if indicated you may need a topical steroid preparation or even a series of  injections (5-FU and/or Steroids) or laser treatments  to treat or  prevent scar hypertrophy or keloid formation (red raised scars), or other topical medicines to treat post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (brown scars) with prescription creams and possible laser treatments.

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Scar treatment?

Usually the incisions are healed enough by two weeks out to start silicone strips on the incision, but make sure that your plastic surgeon is OK with you doing this as he or she will know if you have healed sufficiently.  Best of luck with your continued recovery!

Jeffrey A. Sweat, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Scar management after tummy tuck

You should follow directions provided by your surgeon. My patients use paper tape for 2 months, then either silicone tape or a scar cream for the next 2 to 3 months.

If your stitches are dissolving, they should not be visible, as they are usually under the skin. 

Regards, Dr Steve Merten, Sydney, Australia

Scar treatment

I recommend that my patients begin silicone treatment of their scars 3 weeks after surgery or 3 weeks after any small openings have healed.  Whichever is longer.

Samuel Beran, MD