Any suggestions for Scar revision? (photos)

I had a rhinoplasty that turned necrotic on my nose tip . It's been a year since the necrotic tissue was removed and I can't stand this indented atrophic scar any longer . I want it gone . Is my only option to get rid of it completely surgical scar revision to remove it ? Cutting it out ?

Post rhinoplasty scarring

Hello Kris,Thank you for your question and pictures.  First of all, I'm sorry you have had to deal with this.  Personally, I agree with you, that if you want to remove it, you have to excise out the scar.  Unfortunately, the tissues here are difficult to mobilize and create enough tissue to cover this area after the scar is excised.  At this point, replacing this scar tissue will require a rotational flap, probably a forehead flap.  This is fairly involved and will leave you with a forehead scar.  If you can be patient and laser the redness of the scar with IPL or a V-Beam laser, this may help to make the region less noticeable.  What's noticeable at this point is the vascular ingrowth in the scar bed.  Best of luck!

San Jose Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar revision after rhinoplasty

There are multiple options for reconstructing a scar on the tip of your nose. The best cosmetically-appealing reconstruction involves removing the scar by excising the scar and healthy surrounding skin as one subunit. The nose is divided into different subunits based on the aesthetic lines and shadows that fall on the nose. By removing the scar and healthy skin as one unit, the reconstruction to replace this skin can then be better camouflaged. This reconstruction will likely require several stages to reach the best outcome. Discuss this reconstruction with a facial plastic surgeon who performs and understands the nuances of nasal reconstruction.

Kristina Tansavatdi, MD

Any suggestions for Scar revision?

So sorry for this rare complication. So there are things that can be done but it will require using tissue from other areas of the face or maybe even the nose. You need to meet with someone in your area that is well schooled in nasal reconstruction and complications associated with Rhinoplasty.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Nasal Scar Revision

I understand your frustration after an unfortunate very rare complication. There are several techniques to reconstruct your nasal tip including a flap from the surrounding normal skin or a free skin graft. Consult with an experienced reconstructive surgeon.

Nasal scar after rhinoplasty.

I understand your feelings but you need to wait several months to let the scar mature so less needs to be removed.