I got hurt when I was 4 year old. Would scar revision or laser scar removal work better for my facial scar? (photo)

This scar is about 22 years old. I want to know if Scar revision or laser scar removal will help to improve this scar. Thank you.

Treating facial scar

From what I can see of the scar, the best approach would be surgical.  I would recommend excising it in two stages as this would minimize the ultimate scar which would replace the current depressed scar with a fine line.  These procedures can be performed under local anesthesia in an office OR at reasonable cost.

Facial Scar Treatment

It is somewhat difficult to see the scar well in the photographs.  It appears to be depressed and atrophic.  If this is the case, in my experience small scars of this type are best addressed surgically.  That said, you need to be evaluated in person before a definite treatment recommendation can be made. 

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Facial Scar

There are multiple available that may improve your facial scar.
These include lasers, fillers or surgery.  These may be used separately or combined.
Would have to see you to decide how to start to treat this scar..

Paul Carniol, MD
Summit Facial Plastic Surgeon

Subcision & Fractional Microneedle Therapy Work Well For Permanently Elevating Depressed (Atrophic) Scars.

For over twenty years, subcision has proven an easy and effective method for permanently elevating depressed scars of various types, as seems to be the case here. Subcision is a procedure in which a sterilized needle is inserted, following the administration of local anesthesia, directly beneath a depressed scar (regardless of whether from acne, infection, trauma, or surgery) and used to break up the thick bands of fibrous scar tissue that bind down the surface and create the depression.

Breaking up the abnormal bands of thickened, scar collagen accomplishes two things. First, it allows the surface of the scar to float to the surface. In addition, the tissue fluid that immediately fills the space following treatment contains growth factors and other wound healing substances that promote neocollagenesis, native collagen production, that allows for improvement and elevation of the scars. Between two to four treatments, spaced at six week intervals, are generally required to promote sufficient new collagen to achieve a satisfactory improvement. Since, the collagen produced is one's own, the results of subcision are typically permanent.

Fractional microneedle therapy aka medical microneedling works by creating numerous areas of controlled microwounding that set off in turn a cascade of events that result in new, native collagen synthesis, which translates into healthier, thicker skin that improves the appearance of the underlying scars. It is particularly useful for improving the surface tone and texture of skin to enhance blending with the surrounding normal skin.

Unfortunately, to date I have not been impressed with laser success rates nor the actual degree of overall aesthetic improvement with their use. When it comes to lasers, there is an abundance of media hype and a dearth of rigorous scientific support.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD