Safer cheek implants - combo of Biomet Interpore 200 HA granules + Avitene collagen of silicone?

I saw 2 oral surgeons regarding cheek implants. One uses the Biomet Interpore/Avitene collagen which he said would be mixed into a putty then heat cured & would be adjustable for 6 wks post-op. The other suggested silicone. Which option would be better as far as biocompatibility? Are they actually the same?

HA vs Silicone Cheek Implants

These are very different materials for cheek augmentation both of which are very safe but could have different levels of effectiveness. It depends on what exact cheek augmentation result you are seeking. If the area of cheek augmentation is small and needs only to be on the bone then the HA material may be fine. But if the augmentation overs a broader area of the cheek, some of which is off the bone, then a performed silicone cheek implant is far more effective. While HA granules have some biologic appeal, they often end up lumpy and irregular because it is a granule mixture like sand that is being inserted. It is hard to control their exact shape. The moldable putty concept sounds like a good idea but the lack of a performed shape can create its own set of potential problems.

Chin/Cheek Augmentation -- Fillers such as Radiesse, Voluma, Perlane; Fat; Implants; Sculptra

Both of these are safe, however there has been longer experience and therefore more knowledge about long-term effects of silicone implants. More important than the type of cheek augmentation is finding someone who is expert in choosing and placing for your facial anatomy. You can also choose another option, such as sculpture and fillers. Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Cheek implant candidate

In our practice, we use Silastic cheek implants manufactured by Implantech  for the last 25 years with an excellent success rate. It is important to use time tested materials and a very experienced  cheek implant surgeon for best results.  Cheek implants are manufactured in a large variety of sizes and shapes, and can be custom carved when necessary to help with patient's unique facial asymmetry and anatomy.  For more information, diagrams of the implants themselves, and many before and after results, please see the link and the video below

Safer cheek implants

I have seen different implants materials come and go but and I feel that the smooth silastic is the safest primarily because it is easy to remove if that becomes needed. If you are really concerned with safety consider fat transfer. When properly performed fat transfer is completely natural and also as permanent as result as an implant. It can also shape the cheek far better than any implant. Please see link below.

Curtis Perry, MD
Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon

Type of cheek implant?

I prefer silicone cheek implants as do most of the experienced plastic surgeons.If you have a problem with an infection these are the easiest to remove and replace later. They feel like bone and over 40 years of using these I have found them to be excellent.

Safer Cheek Implants

Both placement of implants and injections of filler materials or fat are safe and effective techniques to augment the cheeks. There are advantages and disadvantages of each. Consult with a surgeon who is experienced with all approaches so you can make an educated decision. 

Hi, I have performed many Cheek Augmentations over the past 30 years and during that time have heard about all sorts of "new and improved" implant materials and injected combos...none of which have every impressed me as much as solid, safe and extremely reliable silastic cheek implants.  The magic doesn't rest in the implant material but rather in the proper aesthetic judgement necessary to create a naturally, beautiful result.  I advise patients not to try anything that's not tried and true. Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.
Hope this helps.