How safe are Sinus Lifts?

I will need a sinus lift if I get a upper tooth implant. I'm afraid the sinus lift will leave me not being able to breathe. How safe is the procedure?

Sinus Lift for Dental Implants

Patients who lack sufficient bone thickness in the upper jaw are poor candidates for dental implant post placement. Surgeons can build up the floor of the maxillary sinus via a dental lift procedure which eventually will allow the dental post to be securely placed. If your sinuses are infected or obstructed, you may require endoscopic sinus surgery prior to the sinus lift to prevent the bone graft/ implant from getting infected. Generally the sinus lift portion of a dental restoration is safe and well tolerated by patients. Your nasal breathing will not be affected by a sinus lift. Hope this helps. 

Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon