Should I try again? What are the risks? (Photo)

I had gummy bear implants under the muscle removed after I tried to fight a staff infection for 2 weeks. Infection started 10 days after the implants were inserted. While implants were in I was lactating. I know this is rare and might have contributed to the infection as well as my diabetes. I want to know what to expect if I try to put them back in a year later? Should I do it? I will post pics to help you understand how unsuccessful this was for me...

Implant infection

I'm sorry to hear about your first implant experience.

The answer to your question depends upon how much you want to have implants. It is safe to try again after allowing the tissues to settle and the infection to resolve as long as you are medically optimized. Your blood sugar will need to be under excellent control before and after surgery. Additionally, you should be checked to make sure you are not an MRSA carrier and treated beforehand if you are. 

I would recommend that you have your surgery at an accredited outpatient surgical center, as there tends to be less infectious agents at these facilities. 

Meghan Nadeau, MD, Seattle, WA

Breast implant infection

Hi, Sorry you had such a hard time with surgery. 

I think it would be safe for you to have the surgery one year out as long as you have no other signs of infection and your diabetes is well controlled. 

Of course, you will need to ensure your surgeon knows about your history and that you are on appropriate antibiotics after surgery. Also, you will want to ensure you have good management of your diabetes and are certain you don't have any other systemic reasons to have had healing problems or infection issues. Your primary care doctor can help ensure that for you. 

At any rate, you are at a higher risk of getting infection after the surgery because of your history. So just make sure you have as much information from your surgical consult and have done all you can do prior to surgery to reduce that risk. Best wishes,

Dr. Blagg

Austin, TX

Replacement of implants

After an implant infection, it is a good idea to wait a while to get the infection to clear completely from your body.  It would likely be successful to replace them later on, though I would steer you away from the gummy bear implant; with the textured surface, it CAN be easier for bacteria to "hide" on the surface of the implant.  There usually is not that much of a difference in appearance anyway of the gummy bear versus a regular round implant.  

Allen M. Doezie, MD

Lactating ?

You should not be lactating when placing implants in the breast. This is because bacteria live in the ducts and can contaminate your surgery. We advise that patients wait at least 6 months prior to considering breast augmentation with implants.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Infection with Breast Augmentation

Any infection is a concern and it is important to understand which bacteria was at the source. Hopefully, cultures were obtained. Then you can pre treat on the next procedure to ensure you are at low risk. You should be able to get a new implant moving forward and the key will be well maintained glucose levels.

You should continue to follow up with you doctor to ensure you progress as planned.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Infected implants - should I have them replaced?

Thank you for asking about your breast implants.

• I am so sorry you lost your first implants -
  • Once an infection is established around an implant, it has to be removed.
  • If you have implants again, your diabetes must be well-controlled -
  • However after one infection, you are at a slightly higher risk of a second one.
  • You might consider a smooth implant - the data suggests they might be a little less vulnerable to infection.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Staph infection with implants

a staph infection, especially if it is MRSA, with fresh breast implants and diabetes puts you at serious risk for wound poor healing and capsular contracture. I'm not sure 2 weeks is enough time to wait and I would refer you to an infectious disease specialist for antibiotic treatment. Once the infection is cleared, you can certainly have the implants replaced. The actual timing, 6 months or 1 year or 2 years matters less than getting the infection completely cleared from your system. 

Lily Lee, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon