Is there a risk of puncturing a silicone breast implant during fat transfer if the implant is under the muscle?

I am seriously considering getting a fat transfer over my breast implants. I have silicone gummy bear implants under the muscle (4yrs old) and want to transfer fat from my thighs and stomach. I believe I have more than enough to transfer as my thighs carry a lot of fat and I weigh 160lbs at 5'6. I am hoping to go up a cup size. I want a thin waist and huge soft boobies. I just want some advice if this is possible.

Puncture

Yes, there is always a risk to the implants. However, most surgeons use a blunt instrument to place the fat which would be safe to the implants. Plus, the surgeon is feeling the tissue and knows where the fat should go. Transferring fat should be safe to the implants.

Puncture

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Fat transfer over breast implants

Submuscular breast implants usually do not lay totally beneath the pectoral muscle.  Any time that a needle or canulla is inserted under the skin there is always the risk of pocking the implant causing leakage. Usual breast size enlargement with fat transfer is usually less than a bra size.  Attempting greater amounts of enlargement increases the risk of cyst formation and fat degredation.Please ocnsult in person with an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon prior to making treatment decisions.

Luis A. Cenedese, MD, FACS

Fat transfer over breast implants

Luis A. Cenedese, MD, FACS

Fat Graft and Implant damage

There is always a chance of something like that happening but the risk is extremely low.  It is not something I would worry about if you trust you physician he/she can give you an assessment of how likely or unlikely that would be.

Fat Graft and Implant damage

Autologous fat transfer to the breasts is possible with implants in place. But, there is a risk of puncturing your breast implants, even if they are under the muscle. Thank you for sharing your question and concerns. Best wishes.Dr. Gregory Park

Yes, there is a small risk of puncturing the implant when you do fat transfer. Especially if you go to the lateral aspect of the breast (outer part), where the muscle is not covering much of the implant. But I think the risk is relatively low if you go to a surgeon who does a lot of fat transfers as well as breast procedures.

Breast Fat Transfer/ Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question

I perform a natural breast augmentation with fat. This can be removed from any unwanted areas including the breast itself as part of my lipo-lift procedure. I perform the fat grafting in multiple planes including under the muscle to give the best, most natural enhancement. Fat grafting is a great solution for someone who wants to bring their breast size up a cup or so and use natural tissue vs an implant. However, it can also be combined with an implant or used as a secondary procedure to fill in areas that are flat or thin. It should not affect nipple sensation, mammograms, cancer risk or breast feeding. It can be a little lump or hard at first but tends to soften over time. If you gain or lose weight, the transferred fat can do the same.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

I appreciate your question

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

There is a risk of puncture.  But, like everything else in plastic surgery, an expert technician is much less likely to have this occur.
Kenneth Hughes, MDLos Angeles, CA

Kenneth Hughes, MDLos Angeles, CA