What are my risks? Can I go into cardiac arrest or any other complication if I get plastic surgery? (Photo)

Im 5'9 225lbs. Never had any health problems or heart problems. About 2years ago they found a small nobule on my right lung. What are my risk if i get lipo, tummy tuck, breast reduction and lift and have the fat transfer to my buttocks. Can i go into cardiac arrest or any complications. I had liposuction about 8 years ago and everything went well. Thank you.

Risks of Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question. Fortunately, significant complications from abdominoplasty are infrequent. Every year, many thousands of people undergo successful aesthetic surgery of the abdomen, experience no major problems and are pleased with the results. Anyone considering surgery, however, should be aware of both the benefits and risks. Best of luck!

Dhaval M. Patel 

Double Board Certified 

Plastic Surgeon 

Hoffman Estates 

Barrington 

Oakbrook 

Chicago 

Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Is a Mommy Makeover Procedure Safe

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.   
All surgical procedures carry some degree of #risk. Always discuss your issues and concerns with the Plastic Surgeon during and following your consultation. Information that you read online may not apply to your personal situation. The suitability of your procedures and any specific risks may be determined during you #consultation.

#Combining these procedures decreases anesthetics, costs, and recovery time.  Most importantly, your procedures should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.
All surgical procedures carry some degree of #risk. Always discuss your issues and concerns with the Plastic Surgeon during and following your consultation. Information that you read online may not apply to your personal situation.
It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with the procedures included with a Mommy Makeover. . Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

What are my risks? Can I go into cardiac arrest or any other complication if I get plastic surgery?

It is important to be in good health and that the operation not last more than 6 hours to reduce the likelihood for complications.  The operation should be tailored to your specifications and anatomy to produce a dramatic result. Seek out a plastic surgeon who has performed these combination procedures hundreds of times and has a great number of reviews and before and after pictures.

Beverly Hills, CA

Cosmetic surgery complications

Assuming that a patient is in good health and at a healthy weight, the risks with cosmetic procedures are very small. In your case, your BMI is a bit high. I would certainly encourage you to loose some excess weight before pursing surgery. Then book a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area (link below) to be assessed in person and discuss options. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Concerned about complications from plastic surgery

Thank you for asking about your plastic surgery risks.

• I assume the lung nodule was evaluated and is of no concern.
  • If not - it should of course be checked. 
  • Serious complications of the kind you fear are very rare but there is a risk to consider which is blood clots.
  • These are rare but increase with long surgery, tummy tucks especially and can be fatal.
  • The best way to avoid them is with good surgical planning and preparation.
  • You are planning a lot of surgery at one time -
  • You should have a consultation with a plastic surgeon to discuss the risks and plan the safest way to have surgery. 
  • Usually it is better to divide the surgery into two parts, to keep surgery short and your risks low.
  • But the final planning is between you and your surgeon.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes

Major Risks with Cosmetic Surgery

Although anything is possible, it would be very rare to say the least. The risk of dying during anesthesia/surgery is about the same risk of dying from  an automobile accident. Reducing your BMI to a normal range, exercising, staying away from nicotine are ways to even reduce this small risk. 
#cosmeticsurgery
#cosmetic surgeryrisks

Plastic Surgery and Patient Safety

Thank you for your questions about patient safety and plastic surgery procedures.

First, it is important to be in good health before you have cosmetic surgery.  If you have medical issues, they should be adequately controlled (example:  high blood pressure) and your family doctor should clear you for surgery if you have any medical problems or are over 50 years of age.

It is important to select a board certified plastic surgeon for your procedures.  The doctor should operate in a  certified operating room.  I would also recommend that you consider doing your procedure in stages, especially if you want to reduce risks and have a speedier, healthier recovery. 

Personally, I would not offer a patient a breast reduction, tummy tuck, body lipo, and fat transfer to the buttocks in one single operation.  It would be best to divide the procedures into two sessions to maximize safety and results.

I hope this helps you.  Please interview several doctors and focus not only on results, but safety considerations as well!

Stephen Bresnick, MD

Is it safe for me to get a tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question.  If you are concerned about your health risks because of a lung nodule that was found 2 years ago, my advice to you is that before you consider any type of elective surgery, that you follow up with whoever discovered this nodule and make sure that it has been adequately worked up and followed and that you ensure that this is not anything to worry about.  If you have been given clearance regarding this nodule, then I would tell you that all surgery has risks of infection, bleeding, scar, pain, asymmetry, deformity, possible need for further procedures, and also more serious complications such as heart attack, blood clots, and even death.  Not using any tobacco or nicotine products and also being at your ideal body weight will further decrease your chances of these complications.  If you drop your weight to below 200lbs (BMI <30), you will significantly reduce your chances for adverse events due to anesthesia.  Please optimize your health first, and then when ready to pursue elective plastic surgery, you should consult a board certified plastic surgeon with your safety in mind.  I hope this helps to answer your questions.

Sean Kelishadi, MD

Risks of surgery

Thank you for the question and the risks you describe are extremely rare particularly in a healthy individual.  That said your BMI is 32 and you would be a better candidate for surgery after weight loss.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD