Any Way to Get Rid of a Fat Pad Below Lower Eyelid?

I have a fat pad that sits below the lower ocular area on the uppermost ridge of my cheek bone. I had lower blepharoplasy years ago but was told that that pad was too far below my lower lid to remove with the surgery. Since then I had it treated with a vascular laser to see if the fat would dissolve. That helped some but it's still there.

Doctor Answers 7

Malar Bags on Cheeks

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

    I would recommend fat grafting around that area that is referred to as a malar bag.  Malar bags can never be improved 100%, and multiple treatment modalities may need to be utilized.

Lower lid fat pads

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A picture would be helpful in determining what the problem may be.  This could be  a residual  lower fat pad or a festoon, which are both treated differently

Under Eye Bags

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

In some case lower lid 'bags' can be improved by repairing or reinforcing the soft tissues that normally hold them back. Additionally, excessive lower lid fat can sometimes be mobilized and transposed inferiorly to fill in periorbital hollows or depressions such as the 'tear trough' at the medial junction of the lower lid and cheek.

Some eyelid 'bags' involve redundant muscle tissue which must be removed and/or repositioned, usually in patients who are in their sixties or older. This is performed through an under-eyelid (sub-ciliary) incision which is extended laterally into the 'crow's feet' area.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 123 reviews

You might also like...

Cheek, malar bags, eyelid bags

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The malar bags require more aggressive dissection to remove. Successful results may be achieved by surgical excision, fat grafting or fillers to the area above the malar bag or using the Cellulaze Sidelaze system to dissolve the fat.

Please consult in person with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon prior to making any treatment decisions.

Luis A. Cenedese, MD, FACS
New York Plastic Surgeon

Eye Bag Issue

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

 Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, photographs and or an examination may be required to completely answer your question. The area you are describing typically becomes more apparent with age. Resolution could require More Surgery but, a temporary result might be obtained with a Facial Filler. Best,

Gary R Culbertson, MD, FACS

Gary R. Culbertson, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Removing Lower Fat Pad

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I can't tell what exactly you're referring to without a photo. However, if you seek multiple opinions and still find that they are unable to remove the fat pad, you could try camoflaging it instead with a filler like Restylane or Radiesse. 

Cameron Rokhsar, MD, FAAD
New York Dermatologic Surgeon

Please post photos

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Photos would be very helpful to determine if in fact what you are describing is an eyelid fat pad. If you have contour irregularities, these could be addressed either by additional fat grafting to the areas surrounding it, or by using fillers such as Juvederm, Restylane, or Boletero.

An in person consultation would be the best since the surgeon would be able to palpate the region in question to get a better understanding of the contour irregularity.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 41 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.