How much rib is removed during rib harvest?

My 5th rib was used in a revision rhinoplasty. How much rib is normally removed? Is it the whole thing?

The amount of rib graft needed for a revision rhinoplasty is based on your nose, but it is not the entire rib.

Dear labrador90210

Thank you for the question. Revision rhinoplasty using rib graft is increasingly more common.  Typically, the soft cartilage rib from the front of your rib cage is carefully removed and used for your surgery. The whole rib is not removed. 

An image of the typical site is shown below. The skin incision can be smaller than this as well. 

Best Wishes

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

How much rib is removed for grafting

Dear Labrador 90210, Personally I do not use rib grafting for revision procedures and prefer other forms of grafting material when necessary. With that said they only remove a small portion that is needed for the procedure and not the entire rib. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Rib graft?

even in complex rhinoplasty revisions I have not  had to use  a rib graft to correct these problems in more than 35 years of rhinoplasty surgery. See a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon so you do not require a rib graft.