How would a *second* rib harvest revision rhinoplasty work?

I already had a rib harvest rhinoplasty and it wasn't lengthened enough. If I needed more rib then would it come from the same incision? Which rib would be chosen for a second harvest?

Rib grafting

Another rib may be obtainable from the same incision, but probably not.  An exam would determine this.  If the nose needs to be lengthened, the old graft may be able to be repositioned or may need to be discarded and a new graft put in.  Occasionally, the graft can be added onto.  If you already had rib inserted, it is doubtful that native (septal) cartilage would be available or have the structural integrity to lengthen in a revision.  Seek out an expert in your area for a consultation. Best wishes.

Rib revision

Rib revision can be done easily without use of your ribs. We utilize organ donated ribs that are very affordable and avoid use of your rib. Please see results below.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Rib harvest revision rhinoplasty

If you need that much more cartilage you have to wonder if lack of Cartlidge is the issue or if there's something wrong with the soft tissue envelope around the bone and cartilage of the nose. Most likely had multiple surgeries. I think your revision rhinoplasty issues are likely too complex to get good information here. I'd suggest you get in person evaluations with people like Dean Toriumi, MD Chicago or Umang Metha, MD Menlo Park or Sam Most, MD Palo Alto or Donald Yoo, MD of Beverly Hills.

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Harvesting More Rib Cartilage for Revision Rhinoplasty

First I question if more rib cartilage is necessary. I'd only recommend that if no septal or ear cartilage is available. Another choice might be to reposition the extension graft that is in place. Discuss your options with your surgeon.