My Rhinoplasty last year went badly, the surgeon offered free surgery but I'm unsure if I should let him operate again. Advice?

My nose has veered left since childhood. Since surgery it is straighter at the top, but more bent at the bottom. I asked that the shape stay the same (straight) and said I didn't want a ski slope shaped nose. But my nose is now ski slope shaped. The surgeon said this happened in the healing process and not his fault. He says the only way to be sure what happened is opening up the nose. He wants to operate again using cartilage from the rib. He is registered and well-regarded. Is he trustworthy?

Revision rhinoplasty

It sounds like you are unsure about this surgeon.  As such, I would recommend that you see other surgeons  for a second opinion.  You can make the final decision after having met with a few surgeons.  Make sure they are board certified in facial plastic surgery or plastic surgery.

Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty

Be sure your surgeon is an ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeon that specializes in revision rhinoplasty. Best of luck! Instagram: drgeraldminniti

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Revision Rhinoplasty

Without photos, it is difficult to provide what surgical route to go and whether the revision would require a rib graft. I would suggest scheduling a second opinion based consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and Hyperaesthetic Surgeon that specializes in revision rhinoplasty's. 

Best Regards,

Dr. Randal Haworth

Randal Haworth, MD, FACS

Revision rhinoplasty with unexpected results?

I would get a second opinion before having a rib graft done. You should see a very experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon. It is very unusual to need a rib graft for the usual revision rhinoplasty since there often  is enough cartilage left in the septum and ears without needing a painful and expensive rib graft.

Should I Have My Primary Rhinoplasty Surgeon Do My Revision

It is difficult to answer your question without seeing pictures of your original nose compared to your present appearance. If you have doubts I suggest you get a second opinion from a revision rhinoplasty expert.

Is your surgeon trustworthy?

Honestly, without seeing you in person, it is impossible to say. My best advice would be for you to schedule a consultation with another board certified plastic surgeon in your area and see whether or not his or her recommendation lines up with your surgeon's. Rhinoplasty is an extremely complex procedure and isn't necessarily a black mark on your surgeon that you need a revision. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon