Rhinoplasty 16 days post-op: Can I ask for a new splint after removal as it feels like my nose has no support?

On day 16 after first nose operation. Bone on upper part narrowed, cartilage on nose tip. Doctor used my earcartilage (nearly a hole in one ear). On day 7 post op a nurse removed my splint. Very pleased with noseshape after removal but since then every movement like walking, eating so much more painful than before &it feels like my nose is wobbling now with no support. (I am underweight (45 kg at 163 cm) and vegan). I asked my doctor to make me a new splint but he refuses to do it. Is he right?

Post rhinoplasty

Nasal splints are generally used to decrease the swelling and add support the first 5-10 days after a nasal surgery.  It generally does not serve much purpose after the first week or so.  I agree with you surgeon and recommend that you continue to follow up with him. Good luck~

Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

2 weeks post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.

Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity. In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months. To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you. Kind regards,  Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-  

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Nasal Protection after Rhinoplasty

Hello and thanks for the question. After seven days the cast and splints should be removed and most of the time we see additional swelling for the first few days after the removal. This is because the "swelling is now released". If a large hump is also taken down then we often also see a swelling at the bridge that is also painful to the touch. It is during this time that I ask patient to tape their nose to keep the swelling down and prevent unwanted possible scar tissue formation. I ask patients to tape their nose for 1-2 months at night following surgery as well. This can help with the feeling of added support, most of the time the structure and support are fine if reconstituted properly during your operation. To make another splint isn't really justified unless you fall or damage your nose. Good luck! 

Giancarlo Zuliani, MD
Rochester Facial Plastic Surgeon

You will be ok

Hi

Thanks for your question. Most surgeons keep the nasal splint on for 7 days. It is highly unusual to apply a second splint. In many cases, however, a tape splint can be placed for patient comfort and mild protection. That being said don't worry too much. Overall its fairly hard to hurt the nose after a week or so unless you hit the nose.

Benjamin C. Marcus, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon