Rhinoplasty anatomical question

Hello doctors.. I have a question.. when I put my fingers into my nose on either side very close to the nostril entrance and my fingers towards the diving area or toward the other side of my nose... I feel on each side like these circular bony bumps. It is def not a graft My surgeon said it is all fine so I am not asking for what are these crazy things... I just want to know .... 1 what are these called and what do they do 2 before my rhinoplasty they didnt feel as evident/sharp is this common?

Nasal anatomy question

There are two possibilities that you feel with your finger. It is either your medical crura or bilateral septal deviation at the floor of your nose. An examination will determine the cause.

Rhinoplasty anatomy and septum

Dear kingja200,

• It is likely the sides of your septum where it meets the floor of the nose
  • It can be shown to you in the office with a light and mirror
  • If they are not causing you problems, I would just leave them alone

Dr. Nima

Nima Shemirani, MD

Nose anatomy

It's obviously hard to know where exactly you are referring to but if you're feeling near the midline it might be possible that you are feeling the end of the medial crura. These are part of the support cartilages of your tip and are occasionally adjusted during surgery. 

I would recommend pointing out the area in question to your surgeon simply to ease your mind. Good luck! 

Justin Cohen, MD
Washington DC Otolaryngologist

Rhinoplasty anatomical question

You might be feeling your turbinates on the outer wall of your nose or it might be a change in the septal bone or cartilage. Either way, this should not be an issue for you especially if your surgeon is not concerned. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Anatomical question

It is kind of tough to imagine where you are describing but I think you may be feeling near the midline along the floor of the nose which would be the nasal spine. This can be slightly widened and you may just be more aware of it since surgery. I would recommend pointing it out to your doctor with something like a q-tip directly, so they can see what you are talking about.

Best of luck

David Reinstadler, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon