Is Restylane Silk used by inexperienced doctors?

I made an appointment with a dermatologist for Restylane Silk for wrinkles around and on lips. When there... doctor told me Restylane Silk was for doctors that don't know how to use fillers and that it didn't last as long. He used regular Restylane which didn't get rid of the wrinkles. I thought molecule of Silk product was smaller and good for these areas? I don't know if doctor didn't have product or hadn't used product or if it's true Restylane Silk is for beginners? Input please? I

#RestylaneSilkIndications

Hopefully this was just a misunderstanding. #RestylaneSilk has smaller less crosslinked molecules therefore it is a bit thinner so best to use closer to the skin and for the lower lids, and lips in my experience. It’s the first and only approved product specifically designed for smoothing wrinkles and lines around the mouth, as well as replacing lost volume  Final Results are highly dependent on the skill of your injector - Chose Wisely. 

Restylane Silk

Restylane Silk is a great option for filling lines around the lips and for subtle lip enhancement. For those who desire a greater volume increase, Restylane Silk cannot create the same level of enhancement as Juvederm or Restylane. However, for the correction you are seeking, which is to smooth wrinkles around the mouth, Silk is an appropriate product to use. If you are not satisfied with your results, I would recommend making a follow-up appointment with the injector. 

Justin Harper, MD
Columbus Physician

Restylane Silk....

You are correct!  Restylane SILK is a more delicate product and providers need to learn the finesse and proper technique to inject and get the optimal results.  It is possible the provider you went to did not have the specific product and just used the second best.  Hope this helps.Dr. Grant Stevens                     Marina Plastic Surgery Associates                  Marina del Rey, CA                       The Institute

Grant Stevens, MD

Restylane silk is an excellent filler for sensitive areas.

it is nice to have different options for the different characteristics of the face.

I inject restylane, restylane silk, voluma, radiesse, and juvederm in my practice.  I have vast experience, yet I still prefer restylane silk for areas around the eyes as it blends very well with the surrounding skin.

good luck.

Marwan R. Khalifeh, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

Physician experience and Restylane Silk

Restylane Silk is a good filler to use for fine lines around the mouth.  While there is certainly variation in physician experience with fillers - some Dermatologists may inject filler a dozen times a day, and others a dozen times a year - Restylane and Restylane Silk are great fillers for different applications.  I always stress to patients to consult with an experienced provider for their cosmetic needs.  This will optimize your cosmetic result and lend itself to fewer complications in the long run.

Jill C. Fichtel, MD
Columbus Dermatologic Surgeon

Use for restylane silk

Restylane Silk is limited but beneficial. You can create a very subtle look for the lips and it works well under the eyes. It will not replace Juvederm or Restylane, but it is a good adjunct to a filler practice.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Hello Figleaf,

I would very much disagree with the statement that Silk is used by inexperienced doctors.  Each filler has areas and indications that it treats best.  Otherwise, there would be only one filler on the market and we would all use it.  Silk is a thin filler.  This makes it very useful for superficial injections such as the fine lines around the mouth.  It also diffuses well and helps with lip augmentation.  Because it is thinner, it doesn't last as long as other thicker fillers such as Restylane or Juvederm.  But the benefit is what was mentioned above.  

Although i never like to say don't see go to a particular physician, because of what was said was untrue regarding Silk, I would recommend you see another injector in the future.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane silk

I think your dermatologist may have been joking. Restylane silk is, yes, the same molecule it is basically just thinner and use for more superficial lines. And is just one more tool in the armamentarium to remove lines from multiple levels. It is true that Restylane can be used in the same fashion, but Restylane silk makes it just a little bit easier. That is probably what your dermatologist meant, or they did not have any silk. Either way I'm sure you will get a great result with just the Restylane or the newer Restylane silk product.

Good luck!

Mark T. Boschert, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Restylane Silk with experience doctors

I'm sorry to hear what your dermatologist has said.  I train many doctors on behalf of Galderma on how to use Restylane Silk because it is a more nuanced procedure than traditional fillers.  In my experience, Restylane Silk is for more advanced physician injectors.  In fact, the company would not sell the product until the practice was trained.

Restylane silk is great to lip lines

Restylane Silk is FDA approved to treat the wrinkles around the mouth and it does a great job doing so. It is not a product for inexperience injectors. It is unfortunate that you got that response from your physician. That being said, Restylane is another option that can be used. 

Anne Marie Tremaine, MD
Naples Dermatologic Surgeon