How soon can I replace my gummy bear implants? (Photo)

I got my surgery 3 month ago I breastfeed two babies before . I was happy at the beginning but after the swollen went down they got smaller and I have a really big gap. I got 295cc tear drop gummy bear implants I do Like the natural look so I like the shape but nothing else . They are not soft enough and not moving to much. I want to get a revision to a larger implant , make the gap smaller and go with a softer implant. How soon can I do it ? What is the recovery time?

6 months

They don't move because they are teardrop which is textured.  If you want them to move you need smooth round.  I would wait 6 months.

What do you mean by gummy bear implants?

Some patient are told all gel implants are gummy bear implants but that is not true.  Gummy bears do not change shape regardless of orientation and true gummy bear implants are the textured implants which are firmer than cohesive gel smooth round implants. 

You could certainly go with larger sizes and smooth round implants above or below the muscle will do it for you... I prefer under the muscle as the risks for contraction are proven lower and contractures are the enemy of augmentation.

Waiting 6 months is a standard answer... and you should have a direct say in what size implant you eventually choose and not leave it up to your surgeon.  Your surgeon should choose the profile for you once you have decided on how much larger you want to be.

Curtis Wong, MD

Replacing gummy bear implants

I agree that gummy bear implants are not soft, and I do not use them for that reason.  I would suggest smooth, round silicone implants placed OVER the muscle for a more ,natural and better cleavage.

Revision Breast Augmentation

Timing will depend mostly on your swelling and will be mostly clinical judgement.  Would have a thorough discussion with your surgeon regarding your goals.  Hopefully your surgeon will be comfortable with the revision as this requires certain expertise and experience.  
Based on your wishes, I agree for better cleavage, shape, and overall result for your chest you would need to change the the size and type of your implants.  
As long as you dont develop capsular contracture your recovery and time off work should not exceed a few days. 

Payam Jarrah-Nejad, MD

Shaped Implants

Tear drop implants through a periareolar incision?  Are you sure they are shaped? There are only a few of us that use shaped implants in LA, and none of us use a periareolar incision, as far as I know. Aside from making it difficult to ensure proper orientation of the implant, periareolar incisions have the highest rate of capsular contracture, and can cause other scar associated issues, one of which you appear to be exhibiting: scar tethering causing areolar retraction.

If you do have shaped and textured implants, softness and mobility takes much longer, about 9 to 12 months until they reach their final appearance and feel. 

Regarding how soft an implant feels, your scar capsule has more impact then gel firmness. A majority of women (90% plus) do not have implants as soft as the same implants outside their bodies.  The range of implant softness is wide, and I have patients with shaped implants that are softer than some patients with round smooth implants. 

To answer your question, you could probably proceed with a revision surgery at any time in the near future.  My recommendation would be to remove and replace through an inframammary incision and aggressively release the sub areolar scar tissue along with fat grafts.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Early exchange

I agree that a different implant will help you achieve the shape and size you want.  My advice to patients is to wait until 6 months post op.  The last of the swelling will be gone, and also the inflammation that occurs inside the pocket will be resolved as well.   Waiting for these two changes will make it the safest in my opinion.  Check out the link on breast implant revision.  Talk to your original surgeon and then see any other board certified consults you need to be comfortable.

Good Luck, 
Dr. Schwartz  

Michael R. Schwartz, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Soon

Seek consultations with breast revision specialists in your area. There are softer silicone smooth implants available 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

How soon for breast implant revision?

Thank you for your question.  Revision surgery can usually be considered around 3-6 months after the original surgery.  In your case, a switch to a larger, round, smooth silicone breast implant would likely work out well.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

How soon can I replace my gummy bear implants?

Thank you for the question. There are no absolute rules when it comes to timing for this type of revisionary surgery.  Often, it is best to wait six months post to allow for complete visualization of the final outcome of the breast surgery before proceeding with additional surgery. Generally, as long as the breast implants are placed in the same "pocket", this type of revisionary surgery is associated with much less discomfort than the initial operation. Careful selection of breast implant type, size, profile (sometimes along with adjustment of breast implant capsules) will be necessary.  

You will find that online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific advice in regards to selection of specific breast implant size/profile. Ultimately, careful physical examination, measurements, and communication of your goals will be critical.
Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering revisionary breast augmentation surgery (regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery ( after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers). Viewing the patient's chest wall in the upright and supine positions, with temporary sizes in place, help select the best breast implant size/profile for the specific patient.
I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to revisionary breast augmentation surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.

Revision

I would suggest waiting about 3 more months to let your tissue heal and settle down. Then, go back to your surgeon and discuss all your options. The gummy beat implants are firmer than other gel implants.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon