How much can be removed ? Can a shape be requested? (photos)

Is it more difficult or risky in any way to remove a LOT of the breast? I want to go to an in, very small, flat breasts, from HUGE ones. Can it be done in ONE surgery? Is it possible to request a particular shape? As in, small and flat against my chest....not hanging at all ?

Breast Reduction Surgery

The breasts can be reduced significantly in size with breast reduction surgery. An exam is necessary to determine if you are a good candidate for breast reduction surgery and how much breast tissue could be removed. The risks of inadequate blood supply particularly to the nipples could be higher the greater the amount of breast tissue that is removed. Small flat breasts would likely be a risky proposition. Please consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon and good luck!

Draper Plastic Surgeon

How small can you go with a Breast Reduction Surgery

When evaluating a patient for a breast reduction, the plastic surgeon should measure the patient's breasts, including the thickness of the tissue beneath your nipple-areolas.   Looking at your photos, I think that you could get down to a full B/small C in one surgery.   This is because enough breast tissue with a blood and nerve supply needs to be maintained behind your nipple-areolas so that you can heal well with no problems.    Your breasts would also be lifted and shaped nicely off of your tummy.   Show your doctor photos of the size and shape that you would like.   Your doctor can tell you if that is possible to achieve.  If you wanted to go even smaller, you could undergo another surgery.    But your should wait at least 6 months, and more like 12 months, before undergoing more surgery.

Best Wishes!

Breast Reduction Surgery

It is unlikely an A cup can be achieved in one surgery, however you will likely see a dramatic difference with an aggressive reduction performed by an ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeon that specializes in cosmetic breast surgery.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

How small can i get?

Thank you for your question and photo.  A breast reduction will be able to reduce the size, weight and improve the shape of the breasts. Reduction will also get the breast off your abdomen and create the illusion of a longer torso. I can appreciate that you want to go as small as possible. However, I think it is important to help you maintain a feminine silhouete. Going too small can make you disproportionate, the opposite way.  Trying to go too small can risk the blood supply to the nipple. I encourage you to visit with an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon in your area and I'm certain you will be pleased with the results. The most common complaint I hear after breast reduction surgery is , "I wish I'd done it 10 years ago".

In some cases, if you have good documentation with your primary care physician regarding, neck, back, shoulder pain, shoulder strap grooving, the surgery may be a covered benefit with your insurance. Its worth an inquiry,

How much can be removed ? Can a shape be requested?

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

Yes, it is possible to reduce the breasts size very significantly. The concern with the amount of tissue removed is related to blood flow to the remaining tissue; if too much tissue is removed in one operation the blood flow to the remaining tissue (including nipple/areola) may be compromised. Part of the tissue that is left in place is called the “pedicle"; this segment of tissue is responsible for delivering the blood supply to the nipple/areola tissue. If the pedicle is made too small (in the effort to reduce the breasts as much as possible) then patient will likely have problems with tissue survival. 

My best suggestion: seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. This careful selection of plastic surgeon will be the most important decision you make.

Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon. Most patients wish to achieve a enough of a reduction to help with their symptoms while remaining proportionate with the remainder of their torso. I suggest that you do not communicate your goals in terms of achieving a specific cup size. For example, an “A cup” may mean different things to different people and therefore may be a source of miscommunication. In my practice, I ask patients to communicate their goals with the help of goal photographs.

I hope this, and the attached link/video, helps. Best wishes.