Does this look right to you ? Should I remove sutures right away and revise ? Very concerned (Photo)

I am 8 days post op this doesn't look right to me ,the stitches on the left are so high it hurts ! There are two stitches , with a small area without a stitch . Ps said asymmetry in my eyes informed his technique but the results will be great . Asked to remove stitches since it has been 8 days ,he said no leave them. I began to remove them ,extracted two , burning pain . I scar/keloid scar easily, but area where I removed them feels much better Am worried - scarring / need revision? Help

Once surgery is over

all you can do is sit back and heal.  Sutures usually come out at 3-4 days post-op to help minimize chances for developing milia (little white balls that form under the skin at the suture holes).  If there is asymmetry, allow yourself to heal and for the swelling to subside.  If you find you have major concern down the road, you should be able to discuss them with your surgeon and revisions, if needed, can be done then.

See your doctor

At this point, your doctor may consider starting to release at least half the sutures.Perhaps he is concerned about dehiscience due to tension on the suture line.  However,at this point, releasing half the sutures would improve appearance, but keep wound strengthintact until all the sutures are out.  Its best to see  your doctor about this.  Otherwise, its too earlyto pass judgement on any asymmetry.

Brian K. Machida, MD, FACS
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper Eyelid Sutures in for Over Seven Days

Dear Sharma str, I would contact your surgeon today and have them removed. I think you have enough opinions on here already that all agree the sutures are in to long. Personally, I cut half the sutures at day three to release them and remove them on day five to six so that there is no visible incision line. The eyelid skin typically heals very quickly and I would see no reason to leave sutures in beyond 7 days. The video above shows a patient in her very early stages of recovery from multiple procedures including upper and lower lid blepharoplasty to give you an idea of typical healing. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Suture removal

Most sutures are removed from the lid at around 7 days.  If CO2 laser was used we may leave them in longer.  If all is healing well then there is no reason to leave them in beyond the 7 days.  As for the asymmetry, let things settle down for a couple of months.  Frequently small differences in lid crease height will not be noticeable with time.   

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Yes the sewing is nice but these need to be removed now.

Sorry, there is probably something wrong with your surgeon's thinking.  Please call your surgeon and let him or her know that you checked with Plastic Surgeons on Real Self and the consensus is that these sutures must be removed. If he won't remove them, you will see another surgeon today and have these removed and send him the bill. The only reason for leaving these sutures in longer than 7 days is if the incision was made with a CO2 laser, then the sutures need to be left for 10 days and it is a problem with laser eyelid surgery. Occasionally surgeons use an absorbable suture to close the skin and have magical thoughts about when these stitches break down. Fast absorbing gut suture is the fastest of these products.  Yes, they can break down in a week but frequently it takes much longer.  Given the appearance of suture integrity seen in the photograph  at one week, this suture may have been chromic gut which will stay there much too long and create a problem.

Eyelid Surgery and Sutures

I generally like to remove the sutures in 5-7 days, no longer.  I know some surgeons like to close the skin similar to the closure you have, but in the upper eyelid I prefer to use a permanent suture in a subcuticular (beneath the skin) closure to avoid any milia develop at the closure site.
Hope that helps.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Thank you for the question and photos and I never leave sutures in beyond 7 days so see your surgeon or other expert in the area 
Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Blepharoplasty incisions

Hello Sharma str and thank you for your question. I understand your concern regarding the sutures in your upper eyelid incision. First of all it is too early to tell regarding any symmetry issues. In regards to the itching or burning, I would go back and discuss the issue with your surgeon - and if he is unwilling to remove the sutures - discuss the alternatives. Do not pull out your own sutures! You could easily compromise a nice result and have unwanted side effects that could delay your healing.