I'd like to remove the bump at bottom of my nose so it looks flat in profile and 3/4 views. My questions are below. (photos)

1) What would need to be done to fix my bump exactly? Bone breaking or just cartlidge shaving? 2) On a 1-10 scale how extreme would you consider this within the scope most nose jobs? 3) Expected recovery time until it looked normal again? Thanks!

Just looking at a few two dimensional photos does not give the potential surgeon the ability to make a diagnosis and come up with the 'exact' treatment plan, but it would probably not be extreme and recovery shouldn't be long. This bump is either cartilaginous septum, a portion of the tip cartilages, or both. Best of luck!

Rhinoplasty for dorsal hump reduction

A reasonable approach for your nose would be an open rhinoplasty with dorsal hump reduction. See a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation.

I'd like to remove the bump at bottom of my nose so it looks flat in profile and 3/4 views.

Shaving the cartilaginous portion of your bridge is a small procedure.  Sometimes lowering this area results in a lowering of the tip and one may need to consider a columella strut depending upon the degree of support present.  Each procedure is relatively small if necessary with a easy recovery and little pain. Your bones will not need to be broken.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Super tip bump

Thank you for the question and photos and your desired result can be easily accomplished via a closed approach.  So go on some complimentary consultations with experts in the area and compare recommendations, photos and fees and find your surgeon

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Supratip fullness

What you are demonstrating is supratip fullness; this results from under resection of your dorsal septal cartilage and/or soft tissue fat. You will require a revision of this region to lower the dorsum just above your tip.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Shaving lower hump of nose.

The lower hump of your nose can be shaved without breaking the nasal bones. The recovery is a week and you should have almost no bruising. On a scale of 1 to 10 for an experienced surgeon this is a one. See a surgeon who is very experienced and does natural looking noses. 

Rhinoplasty candidate

The nose is a three-dimensional structure,  so a full set of facial photographs are required to make the determination about what may be needed with a difficult , three-dimensional surgical procedure. From the limited side profile photograph, the dorsal cartilaginous hump can be shaped down. The real question is what will it look like from the frontal profile? For more information about rhinoplasty, please see the link and the video below

Rhinoplasty for a Straight Dorsum

Dear 51stockj, The profile angle alone is not sufficient to provide answers to your questions. An in office examination would best determine a diagnosis and then a surgical plan can be set to provide you with the desired nose you are looking for. The reduction of the dorsum to attain a straight nose should be a fairly straightforward procedure in the hands of a skilled rhinoplasty surgeon with a rapid recovery. It is important that you choose a surgeon who provides natural looking rhinoplasty results so do your homework and review the surgeons before and after photographs to ensure natural looking noses. Also have imaging performed to see the proposed results and make sure that you and your surgeon are on the same page. You do not want your dorsum over reduced or your tip over rotated or shortened. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Removing the Hump at the Bottom of My Nose

The bones will not have to be broken to accomplish your goals. In the hands of a rhinoplasty specialist you friends and colleagues will not know that you have had surgery about a week after the operation. If it is necessary to refine your tip as part of the surgery your results will continue to improve for several months but this will not be apparent to others.

Nasal bump

It appears your bump mostly cartilage, but difficulty to tell with the photos submitted.  Not sure if you need osteotomies (bone breaking)m but, again difficult to tell.  Recovery is usually 1 week out of work.  Full recovery is one year, but most of the swelling will go away in a few weeks. I would recommend a consultation with board-certified facial plastic surgeon.  

Raj P. TerKonda, MD, FACS