Do I have a recessed chin? Do I need a sliding genioplasty/chin implant? (Photo)

I have never thought about my chin until it was brought up that I have a small one. When looking at my profile, it does look small although I do not have a problem with my chin when I smile. I need an expert opinion on whether my chin is proportionate or not and if I would be a candidate for a sliding genioplasty or chin implant. I have a minor open bite and I wonder if it affects my jaw/lip muscle at all? Thank you!

Chin implant considerations

Based on your photos, your frontal view shows some room for improvement in chin width. I think your chin projection is fine relative to standard landmarks. A small silicone chin implant could make some nice improvements.

Do I have a recessed chin? Do I need a sliding genioplasty/chin implant?

A genioplasty is performed under general anesthesia by oral surgeon in a hospital setting with an overnight hospital stay. The procedure is performed for patients who have significant dental misalignment. A chin implant is performed under local anesthesia which takes approximately 30 minutes as an outpatient procedure and is performed for cosmetic augmentation to the chin. The side profile photographs demonstrated mild and weak chin projection for which a chin implant can improve. Chin implants are manufactured in large array of sizes and shapes is best determined at the time of the consultation and examination, since the augmentation is three-dimensional. We have used Implantech silastic  chin implants for over 25 years with an excellent success rate. For more information and many examples including diagrams of the implants themselves, please see the link and the video below

Profile Concerns

Thanks for your post. In my view your profile is fine and I would not recommend either chin implant or sliding genioplasty. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin augmentation

Hi Bicyclette30, 

Your chin is on the small side, which can make other facial features, such as the nose and the mid-face, seem out of proportion. The chin can be augmented using a sliding genioplasty or a chin implant. I perform both procedures, but find that the chin implant procedure has a shorter recovery time and is more economical for the patient. It can be done under local anesthesia and takes less than 30 minutes to perform.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns!

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Hope this helps.