Do I have a recessed chin? Do I need a sliding genioplasty/chin implant? (Photo)

I have never thought about my chin until it was brought up that I have a small one. When looking at my profile, it does look small although I do not have a problem with my chin when I smile. I need an expert opinion on whether my chin is proportionate or not and if I would be a candidate for a sliding genioplasty or chin implant. I have a minor open bite and I wonder if it affects my jaw/lip muscle at all? Thank you!

Non-Surgical Chin Augmentation is a Great Alternative

Hi Bicyclette30,

Thank you for submitting your questions and photos about sliding genioplasty and surgical chin augmentation using a chin implant. After reviewing your photographs I noticed you have great bone structure, but I can see where you may want to make some small improvements to your chin projection.

Both sliding genioplasty and surgical chin augmentation are great ways to add projection to the chin but they have long recovery times (especially sliding genioplasty) and higher risks, such as infection. They are also not easily reversed.

I prefer non-surgical chin augmentation using dermal fillers. Dermal fillers allow us to sculpt your chin with little to no downtime as opposed to surgery. Many of my patients prefer this method because of the quick outcome, reversibility (if needed), and the preciseness of the treatment. Non-surgical chin augmentation can be done in one office visit in about 30 minutes. 

I like to use Juvederm Voluma for this treatment. Looking at your photographs, on frontal view, I would add dermal filler to the chin and feather it out to your jawline to better balance your features. Also, I would use the same filler to improve your chin projection. 

I’ve created an informational video about non-surgical chin augmentation to answer some of the basic questions. I hope you find it helpful.

Good luck with your search!

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin shaping

It would be very difficult to give you advice about your chin size/shape without in-person evaluation. From profile views it seems that your chin is well projected and doesn't need any augmentation. However your front view is misleading (smiling) and your chin seems pointed? Shaping chin with properly selected implant that will not increase projection would be an option in that case. Consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon with significant expertise in facial implants would help. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Chin Augmentation

To determine whether you would benefit from chin augmentation have computer imaging so you can make that determination. If you find it aesthetically positive a chin implant would be the appropriate chin augmentation choice because the amount of augmentation would be small.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Chin surgery or not?

Thanks for photos. In 2 of the photos your head position is down and therefore it appears that your chin is slightly recessed, but I think your chin looks great and I would not recommend any treatment at all!

Michael P. Morrissette, DDS
Ventura Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Chin implant considerations

Based on your photos, your frontal view shows some room for improvement in chin width. I think your chin projection is fine relative to standard landmarks. A small silicone chin implant could make some nice improvements.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Do I have a recessed chin? Do I need a sliding genioplasty/chin implant?

A genioplasty is performed under general anesthesia by oral surgeon in a hospital setting with an overnight hospital stay. The procedure is performed for patients who have significant dental misalignment. A chin implant is performed under local anesthesia which takes approximately 30 minutes as an outpatient procedure and is performed for cosmetic augmentation to the chin. The side profile photographs demonstrated mild and weak chin projection for which a chin implant can improve. Chin implants are manufactured in large array of sizes and shapes is best determined at the time of the consultation and examination, since the augmentation is three-dimensional. We have used Implantech silastic  chin implants for over 25 years with an excellent success rate. For more information and many examples including diagrams of the implants themselves, please see the link and the video below

Profile Concerns

Thanks for your post. In my view your profile is fine and I would not recommend either chin implant or sliding genioplasty. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin augmentation

Hi Bicyclette30, 

Your chin is on the small side, which can make other facial features, such as the nose and the mid-face, seem out of proportion. The chin can be augmented using a sliding genioplasty or a chin implant. I perform both procedures, but find that the chin implant procedure has a shorter recovery time and is more economical for the patient. It can be done under local anesthesia and takes less than 30 minutes to perform.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns!

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Hope this helps.