Received rhinoplasty ten years ago and one nostril came out bigger than the other. Help! (Photo)

A follow up to my previous post. Ive seen a few dr.'s - it seems I need surgery. A few have said I could be under general anesthesia and some disagree. Will they need to remove cartilage from behind my ear or somewhere else to do the surgery right? This is what one doctor said. Then he suggested I just live with my nostrils the way they are bc its not worth doing the surgery for the risks and recovery time. My nostrils really bother me but of course I don't want to risk someone making it worse.

Nostril

One nostril margin is concave and the other more convex, resulting in the asymmetry.  A tip rhinoplasty to reshape the nostril margin can be done.  

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question. During an open Rhinoplasty, the incisions are made around the nose and often, across the columella, which is the strip of tissue that separates the two nostrils. This is a more predictable and precise approach that allows for more access to the underlying structure of the nose. I suggest that you move forward and consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Possible benefit always risk

Revision rhinoplasty surgery carries risks always, by any surgeon. However they are minimized in the hands of a revision rhinoplasty specialist; aka a surgeon who does at least 50% revision cases and specializes in rhinoplasty. Asymmetric nostrils can be improved but rarely are made perfectly symmetric again. Know that in advance. If improvement is what you're after then your goals are reasonable in experienced hands.

Jeffrey Watson, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty

Was the doctor who told you to 'live with' your nostril asymmetry an ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeon or a AAFPRS member surgeon? If not, you should discount his remarks. As I said in your previous post,  your asymmetric tip cartilages are to blame for your issues and you can absolutely get better symmetry to your nasal tip and nostrils with a revision rhinoplasty. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Nostril Asymmetry 10 Years after Rhinoplasty

You have asymmetry of your nostrils and your entire tip. The tip cartilage are in different positions, you have a retraction of one nostril rim, you have hanging columella, and your pictures suggest that you may have some deviation of your septum. All of these questions can be answered including the type of anesthesia during a thorough consultation by an expert. There are risks with any operation but they are minimal if the work is done by a revision specialist.

Revision

Thank you for the photos but an in person examination is needed to determine the best approach to correct the problem.  So go on some complimentary consultations with experts in the area and get opinions

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD