Is there a reason that Kybella works for some and not others?

Can someone get poor results , even when done correctly? When someone has no results, do you refund them? I have read that it has not worked on a few women. It's very expensive. How is this more beneficial than lipo? Thank you.

Kybella

There are several reasons that a patient may not get a good result from kybella. Patient selection is important . The patient must be evaluated by a practioner who can do an appropriate assessment to determine if Kybella would be an appropriate procedure to address the patient's concerns. Also, it is important that the dosing is appropriate for that patient. The patient must also understand that several treatments may be needed to obtain the desired results.

Northborough Physician

Kybella

Not everyone has a good result from every procedure.  Each individual's tissues and biology vary.   As such the results can vary.  Suggest if you are considering Kybella that you see a physician who has experience with it and obtain their opinion as to whether you can potentially benefit from it.  For some people it is an alternative to liposuction.  For others it may not be an alternative.  One important variable for anyone considering Kybella or liposuction of their neck is the neck skin elasticity.  This can be best determined by your physician at your consult.

Paul Carniol, MD
Summit Facial Plastic Surgeon

Efficacy of Kybella

Kybella is a fat desolving agent used to inject the submental area to reduce fat below the chin. It is a very effective treatment when performed in the right patient. I perform Kybella injections as well as perform liposuction and the results can be equal in the properly selected patient. When there is minimal improvement following the injection of Kybella, it is usally because the patient has a layer of fat below the muscle that must be addressed to get good resultst... again, proper patient selection. In patients that have excess fat above and below the muscle beneath the chin, I prefer to perform liposuction and remove a portion of the muscle and fat located below the muscle. This is called a "platysmaplasty" and is done through a small incision underneath the chin. Lastly, Kybella can be more expensive than traditional liposuction if 3-4 Kybella treatments are needed.     

Kybella results

Thank you for your question spawoman. Kybella is the first and, thus far, only non-surgical injectable treatment for the double chin. Results for any treatment vary from person to person. We include this in our informed consent form that all patients sign prior to any treatment. In our office we do not provide refunds for treatments performed; this is also in our consent form that all patients sign prior to a treatment. I have never had this happen but if I have a patient who undergoes six treatments without any improvement I would offer a complimentary other treatment such as Botox. With Kybella a series of treatments is required. I have my patients plan for at least two treatments and possibly up to six. This should be discussed up front and the patient should know this prior to having the first treatment. The biggest difference between Kybella and liposuction is that Kybella is minimally invasive and does not require tumescent nor general anesthesia. This is a key factor for many patients choosing Kybella treatments. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

No results with Kybella ?

We have seen a result in every patient.  The consensus from speaking to several doctors using Kybella is that the biggest reason for inadequate results is under-treatment, ie, too few vials.   If there is submental fat, then it does respond to the Kybella.  But not right away- there is swelling at first as the Kybella goes to work and then at 3-4 weeks you will start to see the result, which continues to improve for 3-4 months.   I would say that I am more likely to recommend 3 vials to start with for many patients- the swelling is not worse but the results are better.  Patients need to know that most will desire 2-4 treatments to reach their goals.  And you need to wait a little to see the result.   It is not a face lift or a liposuction result, but it is also not surgery.  It may actually be better than liposuction for patients with decreased skin elasticity- Kybella is not specific for tightening skin, but most patients seem to get some tightening and in the studies, patients did not develop increased laxity of the skin, such as we would see after liposuction in patients with decreased elasticity.  My recommendation is to consult with a board certified plastic or facial plastic surgeon and look at some photos of their patients after one or more treatments to get a better idea of what to expect.  

Jonathan Hall, MD

Kybella results

The key to a good Kybella result is first, the patient needs to be the right candidate for the procedure which means that the fat he or she wants removed is localized to the area under the chin. Second, you need to see an experienced injector. And last, you need to manage your expectations. It takes anywhere from 2-4 sessions to get your final results. What I like about Kybella is that it is extremely effective and the results are permanent. Hope this helps. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Kybella Patient Results

Thank you for reaching out to us.  We have not experienced patients without results using Kybella. Most patients do however require more than one treatment sometimes as many as Three treatments. 

Roy G. Geronemus, MD

Kybella and Results

The results of Kybella depend on whether or not you are a good candidate for the procedure.  Some patients may need a surgical procedure. If you are a good candidate then Kybella is an excellent procedure.  Please consult an expert in Kybela for the best cosmetic results. Best, Dr. Green

The product is very expensive for the doctor so refunds are not provided if the treatment is unsuccessful.

We do not really understand why the Kybella is effect for some but not for others.  It is essential to understand that 60% of treated patients require 6 treatment sessions.  It is also important to understand that this service is really best for folks who really do not want to have a lower face and neck liposuction.  If you need help in the neck, but do not want surgery, it is worth taking the risk that Kybella may be ineffective. However, liposuction is a very successful minimal downtime treatment what can be done on a thursday or friday and you can return to work on Monday.  The treatment is very comfortable under local anesthesia or with very light intravenous sedation if you simply don't want to be aware of what is going on. Choose accordingly. 

Kybella results

Results with injection of Kybella are a matter of degree, and patient expectations. Deoxycholic acid kills fat cells - period. Whether or not it kills enough of the fat cells to satisfy expectations is another matter. Multiple injections are often required. If there are skin fold issues, one should not expect improvement of the skin folds with Kybella injections. You are correct in stating that it is expensive for the patient, but also for the doctor to purchase and inject - so it is unrealistic to expect a refund. Lipo is certainly an alternative for patients and should be discussed with your surgeon. Best wishes with your decisions.

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon