Need realistic expectations following upcoming scar revision and tummy tuck surgery (Photo)

I am scheduled for tummy tuck and scar revision surgery next month following three children and a previous surgery to repair a perforated bowel. I have a brilliant ps, who will do the best he can, but he's not a miracle worker. What can I expect, although anything will be an improvement? Is there something I should mention or ask for?

Need realistic expectations following upcoming scar revision and tummy tuck surgery

Thank you for the insightful question.  Based on your history and photographs, I think that you will have a very nice/dramatic outcome with tummy tuck surgery. 

Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

Of course, it will be important that you select your plastic surgeon carefully and communicate your goals/expectations carefully as well.  Achieving realistic expectations prior to surgery is very important; make sure that you are both on the same page when it comes to these concerns

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Tummy Tuck and Results: What to Expect

You have brought up a very good and common question.  The important thing to consider is to discuss this with your plastic surgeon and see what he or she has to say.  I would also review photos of patients with similar issues and evaluate how things look postoperatively.  

From what I see, you appear to be a good candidate for the described surgery.  The one thing to know is that your vertical scar will not be completely removed, but will be shortened as there will be plenty of skin that can be removed in the lower abdomen.  I commonly tell my patients that from the belly button down to the pubis area, you can expect all that loose skin to be removed and discarded.  The result will be tighter skin and flatter abdominal wall with the plication that is commonly performed.

Hope this provides you some reassurance.  Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Tummy Tuck and Expectations

Greetings. You should have an improvement after your procedure. The vertical scar may still remain to some degree.  Make sure to convey any preoperative concerns and questions that have not been answered to your plastic surgeon in advance of your surgery.  Good luck!

Ravinder Jarial, DO

Ask your surgeon

It is excellent to ask for realistic expectations but these should only be set by the surgeon operating on you. Please ask them directly.

You should have a good result as long as you keep realistic expectations. For example I would not expect to have your entire vertical scar to disappear.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

The best result as realistic expectation

You already have a wonderful and curvaceous foundation, so the Tumny Tuck will only enhance what you already have. The saggy skin will be eliminated since the navel and below. The upper abdominal skin will remain and cover the whole abdomen and your scar above that point will remain and you will end up with a vertical scar a bit above and below navel, but your abdomen will be totally flat, tight and looking awesome. 
Muscle repair will help greatly to enhance your waist line creating a smaller and tapered waist. 
The horizontal incision will be very low in order to be easily hidden under a bikini. 
I can only envision a great result. 
Dr. Cardenas 

Expectations

Expectations are two fold. Yours and your PS.
Your expectations are the most important and you need to be aware that results are best when your weight is stable and you are at your ideal weight. You will have a vertical and horizontal scar and the appearance will be that of a fleur de lys pattern. You need to consult with a PS who can show you examples of his/her work in cases similar to you and anticipated scrring patterns. This in my opinion is the only way you and your surgeon can understand each others expectations. 

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon