Rasping and osteotomy question

curious... what comes first when doing a dorsal hump reduction... does the osteomotie come first and then after rasping...or is the dorsal hump removed and then you rasp and then do osteomoties or does it depend on the surgeon?

Most Of The Time Rasping Occurs Prior to the Osteotomies When Doing a Rhinoplasty

Typically the rasping comes first.  Once you have made your osteotomies, the nasal bones are now movable, making them much more difficult to rasp, and making it more likely that you can displace the bones when doing the rasping. I typically do my rasping first, then the osteotomies, and then if a very small amount of fine tuning needs to be done once the osteotomies have been done, I go back and very gently rasp the small remaining areas that need to be smoothed. Good luck.

Greenwood Village Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rasping and osteotomy

There may be some surgeon variability on this, but generally you want to do rasping first, while the nasal bones are stable and immobile, it is much safer and controlled this way.

John Harbison, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon