Can Radiesse injections in the hands cause an infection?

Infection after Radiesse injections

Any injection has a finite risk of infection. Discuss your concerns with your treating physician as soon as possible. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Radiesse For The Hands: Is It Safe?

Dr. Edward Dickerson explores the topic of whether there is a risk of infection associated with injecting Radiesse in the hands.

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

While it is very rare, it can happen with any injection.  See your doctor, as he/she will want to treat your symptoms.

Radiesse injection in the hands

Injection of any filler can result in an infection. Having said that it is a rare and generally treatable complication. The chance is reduced with proper antiseptic prep prior to injection and proper techniques.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Infection after filler

I have never seen an infection with a filler given my sterile technique.  It is best to discuss with your treating doctor.

Afshin Farzadmehr, MD

Infection after Radiesse injections

Theoretically, infections can occur after Radiesse injections in the face or hands. The placement of a needle through the skin can introduce bacteria from the skin surface into the deep tissues where the Radiesse is placed. Infections are more common in the hand than the face but even those are rare. Proper hygiene and sterile technique using antibacterial soaps (chloroprep or povidine-iodine) is important before any injection in the hands.

Kristina Tansavatdi, MD

Any filler injection has a risk of infection

Whether it is Radiesse or other filler in hands or elsewhere, it can cause an infection.  This is a rare problem, and occurs when sterile technique is not strict or sometimes when bacteria flows thru the bloodstream and gets "caught" in the area around the filler.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Infection After Filler Injections

Anything that causes a needle puncture in the skin can cause an infection.  If you feel this is the case, you should be evaluated by your treating physician.  It is rare to occur from filler injections, but can happen.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Can #Radiesse injections cause an #infection?

Yes, but this is very rare. I have seen a handful of patients for a second opinion or treatment of filler related infections but I have not experienced this in one of my own filler patients. Any time a needle is placed into the skin there is the risk of introducing bacteria into the tissues of the face or hands. This creates a small but real risk of infection. Usually, antisepsis of the skin is adequate to remove any bacteria but injectors (even experienced injectors) are notorious for cleansing the skin and then touching the patient's hair, the counter top, etc. I see this all the time as a trainer and do my best to correct it but this behavior is common. Infections, however, are fortunately uncommon.

If you are concerned you have an infection return to your injector immediately. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Infection after Radiesse

Hi Sandra.  An infection after Radiesse is possible, although not common.  If you have tenderness, redness and/or swelling that has persisted more than a day after the injection, then you should call your injector.  

To see examples of before and after pictures for Radiesse in the hands in Los Angeles, click the link below.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD