Questions about liposuction.

I had a few consultations with doctors who do liposuction? I know there is a downtime, and after surgery you have to wear a garment for healing? What i want to ask is how long will it take after the liposuction is done with, and after i heal for entire body to go back to normal, with no more swelling, and bruising? After the surgery, after the swelling is gone with my body i would look much slimmer and thinner and nobody would notice if i ever had liposuction done? Is this true, what they told me?

Healing From Liposuction

It's difficult to answer your questions regarding how your body will look without photographs. As for swelling, bruising, and downtime, they vary for different areas. In general, these decrease/improves faster in higher body areas like the face and arms. In lower body areas, like the calves and knees, swelling, bruising, and downtime increase/take longer to recover. This is due in large part to gravity, which will cause more retention of swelling and bruising. Elevation and compression will help them go away faster. I hope this helps!

Liposuction - what to expect from recovery.

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • Bruising after liposuction may be gone in a week or some can last for 3 - 6 weeks.
  • It takes six full months at least for all swelling to be gone and to see your final result.
  • Without a photo, one can't say how much slimmer you will look.
  • It is true that with a well-done liposuction and good scars, it is difficult to tell if it was done.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Liposuction Questions

Hello,For the right individual, liposuction will re-contour the body in a positive way, frequently making for a slimmer appearance. Healing from liposuction takes a long time, from up to a year for ankles and calfs to a few months (3 to 6) for arms.  Procedures that involve devices that emit heat and cause thermal effects on the tissue, like Vaser, lasers, and ultrasound assisted devices, swelling can take longer to resolve.
ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons are your go to source for information and surgery. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Recovery from liposuction and final results

your post an excellent question and one that comes up regularly and probably should come up even more frequently during consultations.
The recovery poor healing process after liposuction his gradual.

When the procedure is done well on patients who are good candidates immediate improvements should be seen.

We ask our patients to wear compression garments for two weeks. Patients will typically be at their most swollen about one week after the procedure.

Some patients will bruise  substantially while others will have virtually no bruising.

There are many variables that affect the amount of bruising seen. These include skin complexion, and atomic areas treated, the level of aggressiveness of the procedure, how gentle or meticulous the surgeon is, the type of anesthesia used etc. etc.
In high-volume liposuction of the lower extremities patient may The bruised for well over three weeks and may have substantial swelling even a month after the procedure.

As a general statement the majority of swelling should be gone by 4-6 weeks.

Three months is a reasonable timeframe to start viewing the results as being close to final.

Final results should be seen at six months.

It's a gradual ongoing process where the biggest changes happen during the first few weeks after the procedure. In regards to other people knowing you had a procedure done it's a bit of a double edge sword.

Obviously compression garment can be a giveaway.

Hopefully patients look substantially better after the would think the results would be sufficient enough for people to notice you look better.
Liposuction is unique in how different people respond to the treatment.
For example gentle liposuction of the neck maybe she'll be up in a few days while high volume liposuction of the abdomen or thighs can take weeks.
To get an accurate assessment and better answers to your questions I suggest having several in person consultations with board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in body contouring.
Liposuction tends to be a fairly easy procedure to undergo and to recover from. My practice is devoted exclusively to liposuction and fat transfer. We do these procedures with the patients awake you're saying only local anesthesia and mild sedation.
There is a wide discrepancy of talent when it comes to this procedure.

It is therefore well worth it to interview with multiple doctors and be very selective in who you choose to do your procedure.

Best of luck to you,

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Post Liposuction Irregularities, Swelling -- Try Massage, Velashape or Venus Legacy With Your Compression

With VASER Hi definition liposuction results can be seen immediately. Swelling can last several months but can be reduced by following your physicians post-operative protocol. In my practice, I have patients use double compression (foam underneath and full body suit on top), 24/7 for 3-4 weeks and then nightly for another 3-4 weeks. Massage, Venus Legacy, RF Treatments, and hyperbaric oxygen can all drastically reduce swelling. VASER Hi definition will give the best results when seeking fat removal, contouring and skin tightening. Please seek an expert for further evaluation. Best, Dr. Emer

Healing time after liposuction

Everyone heals at their own pace. In general, most of the swelling and bruising is resolved within 2 -3 weeks. It may take 3-6 months before you feel no unusual sensations at all on the inside, but your skin should look fine.

Gustavo E. Galante, MD
Schererville Plastic Surgeon

Questions about liposuction.

Hi and thanks for your questions. Patients will generally wear garments for several weeks after surgery. The bruising and swelling take several weeks to resolve. The results of liposuction depend upon many factors including a patient's individual anatomy, expectations, and experience/training of the plastic surgeon. Make sure you find a surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. That's my advice after 30 years performing aesthetic plastic surgery. Good luck!
Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS, FICSTriple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

This is a very good question.  At Plastic Surgery Center of Beverly Hills being the first center in the USA over 35 years ago to introduce liposuction to the US and being a teaching center of liposuction for plastic surgeons and ever since and having performed thousands of liposuction procedures can tell you that it depends on the extent of liposuction, the method and areas involved.  With our technique you are back to work and doing daily routine in 2 days.  Swelling is down 60% in one month and ALL swelling and healing process would be over by 6 months.

Afshin Farzadmehr, MD

Thank you for the question and how you would look after requires an examination if only to determine how good a candidate for liposuction you are.  So see more experts in your area
Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD