Question on upper back and arm lipo. Any suggestions? (photos)

Hello, I've been doing research on upper back lipo and I understand it can be a tough area to do because of how fibrous the fat is. I wanted to know if Im a good candidate and if you think the result would be worth it. I often feel self-conscious about this area and wish that it was more feminine, slender, and defined

Back and arm lipo often done together.

Liposuction of the back and arms are so worth it in most cases and easy to undergo under tumescent local. Be sure to get all around the arm for best results and no matter how fibrous it is, it is worth doing.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Unique Challenge, But Can Be Done

Please be aware that my comments here are general and can’t be taken as specific medical advice. The fibrous nature of the upper back (medically speaking, the infrascapular region, just below the bra strap) does indeed pose a unique challenge when performing liposuction, but it is possible under the care of a skilled surgeon. Tumescent liposuction using smaller cannulas can produce the desired results in this area. The tumescent solution, which includes a local anesthetic and epinephrine, helps minimize bleeding. That makes it safe to perform the procedure on multiple areas of the body, including the upper back. Based on your photo, I believe liposuction can give you the appearance you desire.

Liposuction of upper arm and back

Thanks for your questions and photo.  Good candidates for liposuction are patients with good skin elasticity.  From your photo, it appears that your skin elasticity is pretty good.  However, an in person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon would allow for better assessment of your skin elasticity and discussion of treatment options.  Awake liposuction done with minimal sedation and local anesthetic is well tolerated with quicker recovery.  Hope this helps...best of luck!

Upper back and arm liposuction.

Liposuction of the upper arms can be extremely satisfying and pleasing.  Patients are thrilled by the sense of slimming of their arms that they achieve, especially when putting on a sleeve.  The upper back area produces less dramatic results but can still be beneficial in decreasing the padding and prominence in clothing.Meet with a board-certified plastic surgeon to benefit from a face-to-face relation consultation.  Warm regards.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting

This area needs a hi definition procedure.  I suggest seeing an expert for treatment as this requires skill and expertise.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Question on upper back and arm lipo. Any suggestions?

Hi. Indeed thsi area is tougher to smooth out than other areas because of the fibrous nature of the fat. IMHO ultrasonic liposuction with the use of the Vaser is indicated and feel you could get very nice results. This area seems to be extremely frustrating for women. 

We have had the pleasure of adding Dr. Onelio Garcia unto the staff at Imagos Plastic Surgery. Dr. Garcia is considered a leading authority in the use of the Vaser and has written extensively in medical books and journals on the subject. I would encourage you to do your research.

Always seek out the opinion of a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery with years of experience in liposuction . Furthermore request to see before and after photos of previous patients by that doctor....not a clinic or surgery center. Do your homework......research and verify the doctor's credentials. Have they had problems with the Board of Medicine, disciplinary or otherwise. Any law suits?

How about the center, clinic or facility? Are they accredited by a national organization or do they just have State approval. Understand that at the current time, there are three nationally recognized organizations responsible for the highest levels of patient safety, AAAASF, AAACH and JCHO. You owe it to yourself to position yourself for the best possible results but under the most stringent safety regulations, If you have kids, even more so.

How about anesthesia? Will you have a medical doctor certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology or a certified nurse anesthetist (CRNA)? Understand that there is no substitute for research. Cosmetic surgery, no matter how simple it may be to the patients, are invasive procedures and as such carry certain risks and complications.

In our office we use TouchMD which is a web based program in which patients have the ability to load their picture unto the program. We accomodate patinets from as far away as California. I then evaluate them and can actually draw on the picture to show a potential patient where the incisions would be located and how the procedure is to be realized. It's all done to comply with HIPPA which is the federal law that protects the patient's medical information. Look them up.

Give yourself the highest percentage of a sucssesful operation. Good luck,

Dr. PG

Upper back liposuction - am I a candidate?

Thank you for asking about your upper back liposuction.

Yes, you can have this done.
The upper back is more fibrous and is more likely to bleed than the mid and lower back.
That said, you can get a nice result.
Please have a consultation, take photos of the look you have in mind and discuss the details with your surgeon.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Upper back and arm liposuction

Good morning and thank you for your question and photos! It appears that you would be a good candidate for this combined area procedure. But that is just based on your photos. It is in your best interest to seek the opinion of an experienced board certified plastic surgeon so you can have an in person examination. At that time, they will be able to discuss the best possible procedure to give you the best desired results. If you are otherwise healthy, this should be fairly easy to do. Best of luck to you as you proceed!

Michael K. Obeng, MD, FACS

Upper back and arm liposuction

Back liposuction is not all that difficult to do.

There may be some connective tissue you or fibrinous character to the fat but it is still easy to remove by anyone talented and experienced.

The main issue in regards to liposuction of the back is skin laxity.

This area always has skin laxity when the arm is in a down position.

This is the case or else you would not be able to stretch your arm over your head.

if you put your arm over your head and stretch your torso you should notice that the area improved substantially.

Any area that's improved by pulling the skin tight has more of a skin laxity issue than subcutaneous fat. Arms usually respond very well to liposuction.

The exception is again for those who have skin laxity on their arms.

From your pictures your skin appears to be good.

You would most likely get some nice definition from arm liposuction but be wary of back liposuction.

I do liposuction on the back regularly.

It's extremely important to accurately assess who is going to benefit from this and it was not.

This really requires an examination.

I can also not emphasize enough the importance of seeing a plastic surgeon who has a lot of experience particularly with liposuction.

The reason you've read about difficulties in this area is because of a lack of experience of the plastic surgeons doing the procedure. I don't make those type of statements often but in this case I believe it to be true.

This is not only in regards to the technical aspect of surgery but also making a preoperative assessment.

my practice is exclusively devoted to body contouring using various forms of liposuction and fat transfer.

if you decide to move forward with surgery and I suggest you get multiple opinions by board-certified plastic surgeon's who have ample experience particularly with liposuction.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Liposuction for the Back

Thanks for your inquiry. Definitely not an easy part of the body but great results if done right. A consultation in person would be necessary to properly evaluate you. At my practice, i perform VASERlipo. This system uses minimally invasive ultrasound technology for precision body contouring. VASERlipo produces eye-catching results in just one procedure and the technology provides many benefits versus traditional liposuction treatments. Hope this helped!