Question about post swelling after liposuction

Many doctors on real self advised me that after liposuction the pain wears out within five to fifteen days, so after five to fifteen days you would not feel no pain whatsover? But, some doctors told me there can be post swelling that can take six months, and other doctors told me the swelling can take up to eighteen months to all go away? What I want to ask is? If someone hugs me where the swelling is, or where I had liposuction would I notice the pain or discomfort in that spot on my body?

Recovery after liposuction.

Generally speaking most patients who even show bruising find it to resolve in the first 7 to 14 days.  Swelling is a gradual process with much alleviation during the first 4 to 6 weeks of recovery and then subtle change up to about three months time.  Patients who undergo massive liposuction may take a little bit longer.  Tenderness gradually resolves over the first few weeks following the procedure.If you need more specific information about your own procedure I suggest you discuss this with your own board-certified plastic surgeon.  Best wishes.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Liposuction Swelling

Although swelling may take up to 6 months (I've never seen 18 months!), most of it is gone in the first month. Tenderness to touch is usually gone in a few weeks.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Post Liposuction Irregularities and Swelling

It takes weeks to see the results of liposuction. Massage, RF treatments and hyperbaric oxygen will drastically reduce swelling. In my practice most of my patients have very little pain 1 week after following my liposuction protocol postoperative. I suggest a consult with an expert!   Best, Dr. Emer.