Question about coolsculpting - One doctor gave me a positive result for me, and the other consultation was more of a negative?

I went to two different places for a consultation for coolsculpting? The doctor told me the fat is behind my muscle wall, and this kind of fat cannot be liposuctioned or removed through coolsculpting? In the past i tried to get liposuction, and the doctor at the consultation did not tell me he could not do the procedure? What should i do go for another consultation with someone else?

Thank you for your question. Liposuction and CoolSculpting can only remove subcutaneous fat. If you have any fat on your abdomen that you can pinch, you may be a candidate. A third opinion may help. Ensure that you always speak to a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in CoolSculpting. Regards, 

Treating subcutaneous fat

Thank you for your question shilrey.walker111. There are now multiple non-surgical treatment for body contouring including Cool Sculpting, SculpSure, and Vanquish. All of these treat subcutaneous fat. This is fat that can felt between the fingers when the skin is pinched. Visceral fat is deep to the muscles and is not addressed with these non-surgical treatments not liposuction. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Subcutaneous Fat vs Visceral Fat

If you aren't sure which type of fat you are dealing with, it would be best to see a board certified plastic surgeon to determine if you are a candidate for CoolSculpting or Liposuction.  Visceral fat is the fat lining the inside of the abdominal cavity and usually feels firmer and harder.  Subcutaneous fat is the fat underneath the dermal layers and is more of the "pinch-able" fat.  The subcutaneous fat is what can be treated by CoolSculpting or liposuction.  It is best to have an in-person consultation to be positive about what you are a candidate for. 

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Possible CoolSculpting to abdomen

It is true that fat behind the muscle layer of the abdomen cannot be removed with liposuction or be treated with CoolSculpting.  Fat that is just below the skin and above the muscle layer can be treated with liposuction or CoolSculpting.  You could always get another opinion from someone so that your abdomen can be examined to determine the amount of superficial fat that you have that could possibly be treated.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting and Results versus Hi Definition Liposuction

Visceral fat (behind the muscle wall) cannot be treated or removed with liposuction or CoolSculpting. Subcutaneous fat is the fat removed from these procedures. Cool sculpting improves the fat but 20% per treatment, and often requires multiple applicators to be used to get contouring and a few treatments. I suggest consulting with a VASER Hi definition contouring specialist for a second opinion. This procedure provides the best results for contouring, shaping, and skin tightening. Best, Dr. Emer

Candidate for CoolSculpting?

Good afternoon,
Thank you for your question and your confusion/concerns are understood. The information you received about fat that is "behind the muscle" what is termed visceral fat is correct; it cannot be removed by liposuction, CoolSculpting or any of the fat reducing technologies currently available. In order for anybody to discern, in your case, if it is visceral or subcutaneous (pinchable) fat a direct examination will be required. Second opinions are always a welcomed and valued tool at your disposal. 
Best wishes as you navigate forward. 

Paul Pietro, MD
Greenville Physician