Will PRP axel benefit my receding hairline since the hair follicles have only been dormant for about a year?

I have been suffering from MPB for a little over a year. I've been using minoxidil and my hair is almost completely restored with the exception of my hairline. Will prp axel benefit my receding hairline since the hairs folicals have only been dormant for about a year?

PRP and ACell will likely help restoring your hairline, but you should get it done while your hair follicles are still intact

Thank you for your question. You’ve been experiencing male pattern hair loss and a receding hairline for a little over a year. You began using minoxidil, which you say has restored most of your hair, with the exception of your hairline. You’d like to know if platelet-rich plasma and Acellular matrix can improve your receding hairline, even if the hairs have been dormant for about a year.
I can certainly give you some guidance on this issue. To give you a bit of information about myself — I am a Board-certified cosmetic surgeon and a Fellowship-trained oculofacial plastic and reconstructive surgeon, practicing in Manhattan and Long Island for over 20 years. Being a hair specialist, hair transplants and non-surgical hair loss treatments are a big part of my practice. I am also the founder of TrichoStem™ Hair Regeneration Centers which offer an alternative non-surgical treatment for hair loss called Hair Regeneration.
In our practice, we have a 99% success rate in treating both men and women for pattern hair loss. We receive patients from all over the country, and from all over the world. Our treatment is based on many years worth of clinical data that we have gathered and used to continuously modify and improve the treatment.
The hair growth cycle is made up of three phases: the anagen phase, which is the active growing phase; the catagen phase, which is the transition phase; and the telogen phase, which is the resting phase. What occurs when a person has pattern hair loss is that the anagen phase becomes shorter, and the telogen phase becomes longer.
Physiologically, hair thinning or hair loss can occur in one or two ways. One is by progressive thinning, which means that the hair grows, sheds, grows back thinner, and then sheds again, until the point that it no longer grows back. In other cases, the hair grows, sheds, and does not grow back at all. I think you are on the right track if you observed hair thinning due to many hairs that are not necessarily dormant, but are just not growing the way they use to. It is also good that you are aware that the longer the hair is gone, the less likely it is salvageable.
With Hair Regeneration, we have learned over the years that the earlier we catch someone, the more follicles we can treat, and the better the results can be. The treatment will not work for those who are already bald because they don’t have viable hair follicles left. This has led into an advocacy to advise patients to continue monitoring and looking for early signs of hair loss.
With this treatment, we’ve gone from treating people who are middle-aged and older, to middle-aged to considerably younger groups of patients. In fact, the youngest patient we’ve ever treated for male pattern hair loss was around 17 or 18-years-old, and we’ve also had female patients in their 20s who receive the treatment as well. When we are able to establish that they have androgenetic alopecia, or pattern hair loss, by means of a biopsy, we can treat them right away. But ike I said, the earlier you get the treatment, the more we can make a real impact.
It has been my observation over the years that people who have been on hair loss drugs like minoxidil for 20 to 25 years will still continuously lose all their hair. This is because these types of drugs only prolong the growth cycle of thinning hair and induce short-term hair growth, and do not stop hair loss progression. Hair Regeneration, on the other hand, has been successfully consistent in stopping hair loss progression. We are able to reactivate the normal growth cycle in hair that has not been growing or is thinning, and we are able to help thinning hair grow back thicker.
The success of this treatment has essentially displaced hair transplants for many people who come to us looking for a hair transplant, and in certain cases, it can even surpass the results of up to two hair transplants. One of the challenges of creating such a system was in figuring out many of the different variables that contribute to the best outcome based on gender, age of onset, relative progression, relative severity, and such. Ultimately, with much study and development, we are able to customize the treatment for the individual so they can get the most out of the treatment.
To answer your question, it is highly likely that you will see benefit in the front to temporal region where you are seeing recession. However, the longer you wait, the less viable hair there will be to work with. I recommend you look for a hair specialist that can offer this type of regenerative treatment. Learn about your options, learn about your doctor’s experience with this type of treatment, and then take it from there.
I hope that was helpful and I wish you the best of luck!

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

PRP Treatment

Yes, PRP should help with hair follicles that have only been dormant for about a year. PRP is a concentration of your own autologous platelets which have reservoirs filled with powerful growth factors and healing agents.  PRP helps signal your body’s own stem cells and growth cells to jump start the healing, repair, and rejuvenating process. We perform many PRP procedures and I have been featured on TV years ago using PRP for hair loss. Our patients have excellent results with minimal down time.

Amir Yazdan, MD
Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

PRP for hairline. ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS NEW JERSEY

In my opinion, hair that has been dormant for less than three years responds most successfully to PRP. Treatment with PRP increases hair thickness, decreases hair loss,  and may  regrow dormant hairs. The younger individual has a superior response. Find a PRP expert who can help you with your treatment. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon

Hair loss -- PRP, Progesterone, Viviscal, Rogaine, Finesteride

I use a combination of PRP/progesterone to improve the hairline in patients who are candidates. I suggest a formal consultation to determine what is best.  Dr. Emer.