What can I do about the protrusions around my mouth? (photos)

I am 33 years old and have noticed as I get older the sides of my mouths have been protruding out more and more. I have a raised acne scar on the left side, leftover from high school. I absolutely hate it and it's all I see when I look in the mirror! I have been to numerous medical spas for fillers and nobody can do anything. I was suggested to see a plastic surgeon for buccal fat removal, but I'm not sure this is the right option for me.

Doctor Answers 1

What can I do about the protrusions around my mouth? = treating the cause = saggy facial skin #aging #cheekaugmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
in the 30s, facial aging is when starts to become visible in most of the patients.

One of the early signs of facial aging is sagging of the facial skin in the lower face. This is usually seen as "protrusions" around the mouth. This physical finding is commonly cause by decrease in cheek bone projection rather than buccal fat pad. Therefore, cheek augmentation with soft tissue fillers like voluma could "lift" the face, thus addressing that lower face skin sagging ("protrusions"). Buccal fat pad, by not addressing the cause, could make the problem worst.

Patients interested in determining if candidates in addressing lower face sagging with cheek filler augmentation should make a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon specialized in procedures of the face

New York Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 135 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.