Is there anything that can be done prophylactically to prevent/reduce swelling from a Breast Augmentation?

How To Reduce Swelling From A Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question. I have my patients take Bromelain, which is an enzyme found in the core of pineapples, before and after surgery. I have seen Bromelain significantly decrease the swelling in surgical patients over the past 15 years. Also, using ice over the upper chest for the first 2-3 days will significantly help with the swelling and discomfort.
Hope this helps!

Swelling after Breast Augmentation

There is not a lot you can do to reduce swelling before the surgery takes place. Make sure you have proper nutrition. Extreme dieting before surgery may hurt your healing. Your plastic surgeon will check on your health and make sure you are not anemic. Avoid aspirin before surgery.

Careful and gentle surgical technique is essential. There should be no bleeding at all during the procedure and no blunt separation of the tissues. No tight dressing is necessary afterwards. Going too big will increase swelling and discomfort. Some swelling is inevitable and varies between patients, but is usually minimal. Use of ice does help swelling and it is a good idea to minimize physical activity soon after surgery.

John Silverton, MD
Stockton Plastic Surgeon

Minimal Swelling Post Op

Thank you for your question. Though each patient's body will respond in it's own way to trauma, Plastic Surgeons can use techniques designed to reduce the amount of trauma and down time post op. For instance,  not using blunt dissection, such as putting a finger in and sweeping it around to open up the pocket. They can carefully cauterize all of the blood vessels found in the area of implant insertion. By doing this, trauma is decreased and the potential for blood loss (and post-operative fluid build-up) is eliminated. Bloodless breast augmentation also leads to faster recovery times. This is my approach to Breast Augmentation and my patients tend to report minimal pain/bruising/swelling.  Typically each patient will have some swelling for roughly 2 weeks.

Talk with your Plastic Surgeon about ways you can ensure as much comfort as possible and speedy recovery.

All the best

Swelling after breast Augmentation

Many factors determine post operative swelling; size of implant, surgeon technique, tissue manipulations, simultaneous procedures, implant placement, the pockets, the approach, to just name a few.  Your surgeon will/should review these during your consultation and address the effects and how to minimize them.

Make sure you have a thorough consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who has extensive experience in this procedure. Check her/his experience, credentials, reviews, before and after photos, and have a quality consultation.

It is preferred for your surgeon to be member of "American Society of Plastic Surgeons" and ideally member of "American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery". This means they have been evaluated by the society and recognized that the focus of their practice is high volume and quality, honest aesthetic plastic surgery and they adhere to a code of ethics.

Payam Jarrah-Nejad, MD

Swelling is a normal body response following breast augmentation surgery.   I am not aware of any prophylactic measure which can be taken  to prevent swelling after breast augmentation surgery.

Breast augmentation recovery

Thank you for your question.  Beware of unrealistic claims.  See a board certified plastic surgeon for your procedure.  The body, after augmentation, has a certain healing process which takes time for the tissue to heal.  For example,  the muscle takes about 3 to 5 days to relax and soften after being manipulated. Most women do very well with the procedure and do not have a difficult time with recovery.  I wish you all the best as you consider your procedure.
Dr. Marcus Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon